Menu

What can dd take to SAT?

Dd takes the SAT for the first time next Saturday. What can she take into the test center? I know she will need #2 pencils, eraser, calculator, extra batteries, her test ticket and photo ID. Can she take bottled water and snacks? Pocketbook?

I'm hearing lots of conficting reports on what will be allowed.

Also, they do get bathroom breaks don't they. It is not the best time of the month for dd so she has specifically asked me to ask what she can bring into the test room and if she gets a break periodically.

We've received conflicting guidance from College Board and the test centers. Most were ok with my dd having a small purse. One said to bring a bottle of water but then she was scolded by the proctor for having it as it was against school policy. My recommendation would be to check what CB says on their website is ok and then call the test site and ask for any further guidance. There should be bathroom breaks.

Here's the list from the College Board: http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/sat-test-day-checklist

Some test centers will send home a note that says no water or food, but in practice most will allow students to have them at break times (as the College Board says they can). I would encourage her to bring water and a easy to eat snack with good balance or carbs and protein such as power bar or dried nuts and fruit.

They will have breaks, both bathroom breaks and stretch breaks (basically you can stand up for a minute or two). I encourage students to stand up during those stretch breaks and actual stretch. It is good for your brain. Far too many students stay seated during the stretch breaks.