Menu

Read Alouds vs. Read Silently

I am putting together a suggested reading list for my 4th grader. I'd like to include a variety of books. My biggest issue is decided what to read aloud vs. what to suggest he read silently (that we can later discuss). I tend to want to read everything aloud, but realistically I know I can't.

What books would you definitely save for reading aloud?

Say you were making a list of 3 books from each of these genres that he could read silently...what would you choose?

Humorous

Historical Fiction

Mystery and/or Adventure

Realistic Fiction

Classics

Bio/Autobiography

Award Winners

Tall Tales / Folk Tales / Fairy Tales

Edited to Add:

Yeah, I'm thinking that I totally didn't ask that question correctly ;)

I love to read aloud, and we read aloud often. I am not looking for specific recommendations on what to read aloud to my child, but rather how to choose which to read aloud and which to let him read silently when *I* want to read them all too. I was really hoping to get an idea on what books serve as good read alouds because they read aloud well, and which serve as good read silently books because they are difficult to read aloud. What I am hoping to do is suggest some books for him to read that I'd enjoy myself and we'd enjoy discussing. This isn't really at all related to books for school, mature themes, etc.

Sorry I was unclear in my original post. Hopefully that better explains what I was after :D

We read aloud only our more difficult literature language wise. OR there have been times my kids don't enjoy a book as much and we switch it to read aloud. Then they enjoy it more. Mine prefer to read most of their books to themselves and that is okay with me because I find it difficult to get in too much uninterrupted time in our day with younger siblings and all

Christina

These are good points. How much time you have and personal preferences will influence the decision.

I don't have little ones, so we have time for higher level shared readings and independent reading in many subjects. Also, we both enjoy both kinds of reading--independent and shared.

It might take a little trial-and-error to find what works best for you. I've also found ours varies depending on what else is going on in our lives.

I agree, when the book is difficult for the children to read themselves. When it uses language that is unfamiliar. When they would understand it better hearing my tone and inflection than stumbling through something unfamiliar. Read alouds take kids places they can't take themselves. They do not need to be limited to any particular genre.

That said, I also read books aloud just for fun now that my kids could read them all on their own. I choose stories that I think are better shared, that might prompt discussion, or bring camaraderie through the shared experience.

I choose literature that is not to be missed for that grade for read-Alouds. All other books for lesson-work (and we use the CM method of mostly living books in our homeschool) are to be read independently and narrated as the child is able. So, I would read a history book to my 3rd grader if the reading level is too difficult for him.

But, my scheduled read-aloud period is after lunch and right now I am reading Rascal aloud to both boys (and not requiring narration).

True confession: I do not enjoy reading aloud. I do it but because I do not enjoy it read-alouds do not happen as much as they should. Solution: we get out books on cd from the library or librovox to download and listen to. So how I decide what is "read aloud" and what they read silently is baaed on what I can get on audio and what I can't. I hope y'all are not to shocked by this and will continue to let me use these boards.

Humorous

Historical Fiction

Mystery and/or Adventure

Realistic Fiction

Classics

Bio/Autobiography

Award Winners

Tall Tales / Folk Tales / Fairy Tales

We used Sonlight for a while when my children were younger and I think their overall philsophy of choosing read alouds was good. They did go in part by difficulty of reading the book. BUT the main consideration was maturity level of the book. They selected read alouds as books that had more mature themes in them, that they wanted the parent to be with the child when they read it.

Looking at your list I think some categories like Humorous will probably be all readers for the child because they rarely get into such maturity issue.

Other categories will need you to read summaries of plots and ask here about specific books so that you get a sense of which are going to have potentially difficult topics.

The last consideration has also been mentioned by another poster. I would also select read alouds by your own interest level. Don't pick something you hated as a child to read aloud (I'd just put that book off.)

Yeah, I'm thinking that I totally didn't ask that question correctly ;)

I love to read aloud, and we read aloud often. I am not looking for specific recommendations on what to read aloud to my child, but rather how to choose which to read aloud and which to let him read silently when *I* want to read them all too. I was really hoping to get an idea on what books serve as good read alouds because they read aloud well, and which serve as good read silently because they are difficult to read aloud. What I am hoping to do is suggest some books for him to read that I'd enjoy myself and we'd enjoy discussing. This isn't really at all related to books for school.

Sorry I was unclear in my original post. Hopefully that better explains what I was after :D