Menu

Anyone tried the High Scholars program (Belhaven) through TPS?

I am considering this instead of AP humanities courses. I would like to call schools to see if they would accept credits. Baylor, NC State or Chapel Hill first.

Will you post what you find out? I emailed Baylor yesterday or the day before to ask but haven't heard back yet. I asked ORU and they would accept the credits.

I talked to TPS to ask them to compare the High Scholars program to their Classical Track (CT) and was told that the Classical Track is more challenging. In a little bit of comparing of the books read, it's clear that the CT goes more in-depth. For example, CT has an entire year dedicated to ancient history, literature, culture, philosophy, etc. and High Scholars spends a semester. It also sounds like the CT's writing component is more demanding (in quality). However, we are still researching to decide whether or not to switch from CT to High Scholars, partly for the college credit (if it's accepted at our colleges) and partly for a savings of time (if it is actually less time-consuming than CT). CT is an excellent program, though, and my dd loves it despite the stress she's feeling with current deadlines. So, it's a tough decision! Hopefully we'll hear from someone who has experience with High Scholars.

This is what I just received from Baylor:

Baylor will accept all credits from accredited colleges and you may be able to see the specific class they would count for at Baylor with our Equivalent Course Tool - http://www.baylor.edu/registrar/index.php?id=86538 . If you do not see the school or courses your daughter is taking it doesn’t mean we don’t accept the credits – it just means we would need her transcript to be sure. Please let us know if you have further questions!

NC State and UNCCH have transfer credit pages. They show Belhaven English, History and Art appreciation transfer credits. Not the exact courses, but the webpage states that they are representative of past transfers. I think if they accept credits from Belhaven, they might be able to transfer credit for electives. It is a lot of history and english credits for a non major though.

We are seriously considering this instead of humanities AP classes. We would still plan AP sciences, Calculus, Latin. My son would add Comp. Sci. and Statistics. My daughter is interested in Psychology. But that seems WAY more doable than all of the AP classes were planning.

Belhaven says to plan 4 hours a day. 11th grade would add online Latin, Chalkdust Precalculus, AP Psych and AP Chem. 12th grade would add AP Latin, AP Science, and AP Calculus. Still seems crazy

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Four Oaks,

I am considering this for dd next year and would really love to hear your comments, good or bad, about the program. We have been doing Rhetoric level TOG, so it seems like it would be a good transition. Dd is considering the 4 yr BFA in Dance at Belhaven, so this would fulfill the required Worldview Curriculum credits if she did it.

If you want to respond privately, you can email me at freeman4him at gmail.com

Thanks!

Pamela F.