Menu

Sonlight Read Alouds C

EmilyGF

We've loved read-alouds B, but I know that a lot of changes have been made since we purchased, 18 months ago, especially to read-alouds C. I think we've had one or two duds (Understood Betsy didn't work for us, but I'll try it again in a few months.)

Is anyone using these? Will we like them?

Do you know what the changes are? Which books were swapped for which? We are generally a whole book family.

Thanks,

Emily

Captain Nobody, Philomena, Sticks Across the Chimney, were added to 4 day. These were added to the 5 day program, Adventures of Sir Lancelot, Encyclopedia Brown Cracks the Case, Good Masters Sweet Ladies, Hidden Tales from Eastern Europe, and Pippi Longstocking.

Castle Diary, A child's Garden of Verses, Ginger Pye, we're removed from the 4 day. Kildee House, Little Princess, were removed from the 5 day program.

We much prefer A Child Garden of Verses, the New Cornstalks is awful. Lol My soon really enjoyed Castle Diary. Ginger Pye was ok. We do not have the New or 5 day books, as I wanted to add some from TWTM selections too.

We are doing the new C now. We liked Understood Betsy, though it was quite slow. The book I really disliked in Core B was Follow My Leader. The new books are excellent. We adore Cornstalks, and we're on our second time through.

Sticks Across the Chimney is about a brother and sister who have a few adventures in Denmark. They live on land with an ancient Viking mound. Great suspense for this age and a lot of fun adventures. This ties in nicely with the Viking unit.

Good Masters Sweet Ladies is an excellent addition, and it lends itself beautifully to the Medieval Ages. Love it!

Lancelot is goofy, but a nice addition and a welcome break.

Hidden Tales from Eastern Europe is read quickly, and are just good stories. The girls loved it and wanted to read it every night.

Pippi is riotous fun, and we love it.

I haven't gotten to the other new additions, but we really like this core, even more than B, which we loved too.

Thanks! That really helps. I knew I didn't want to read Encyclopedia Brown aloud - that is better, imo, for independent reading, and it helps to know which books were ditched. I think we'll only be using the read alouds next year, not the whole program, so matching up with the year isn't a seller for me anymore.

Emily