Menu

Using Konos with older (10-12yo) kids

brookspr

I have recently begun looking into combining a lit based unit study with some hands-on activities and am interested in how KONOS curriculum works with older children. The few samples I was able to see on the website showed a chart of what to do each day with young, middle, and older aged children. I didn't see a whole lot of difference in the activities that they did, but I also was not able to see a description of the activities, just the page number of where they were in the book. It also looked like the older kids had a few more activities listed in their column than the younger and middle ones.

So my question is, how are the activities described in the book so that they are applicable to students of different ages? Are there ways to make the activities more detailed or harder for older kids?

Also, if anyone has experience combining Konos with other lit based unit studies I would be interested in how you work the activites into your studies.

Thanks!

The activities are described in the book. You decide if they are appropriate for *your* children, whatever their ages. :-)

KONOS isn't literature-based; it's character-trait based. :-) I have a hard time imagining doing KONOS plus anything else, because KONOS covers history, geography, science, Bible, arts literature, arts and crafts, and more.

Thanks for your input. I should have been more specific. I had decided to use Sonlight next year with my 10yo son, as he loves to read and I thought a lit based curriculum would suit him. But he is also somewhat of a wiggly worm (when he's not reading) and I heard that Konos is a great unit study curriculum with lots of hands on activities. I'm not sure if it would work or not, but I thought I could try using Konos for its hands-on activities and Sonlight for the lit/history portion. I realize that in trying to do that I would be limited as to how much of the Konos activities we could do, but for our first year in homeschooling I really want my hand held and not have to do too much on my own until we get the hang of it.

• 2 months later...

I don't know what you decided. But, if you attracted to KONOS. Then buy the KONOS level you want. And, go online to betterworldbooks and find the Sonlight books for the KONOS unit. Those books are not exclusive to Sonlight ya know. They are often just great books. KONOS has book suggestions for each unit, as well as in the plans. You will burn out of you try both. The only way I could see it work is if you spaced the SONLIGHT out to be a 2 year program. One KONOS volume is at least 2 years worth of really fun stuff. Sonlight is a year of lots of reading, discussions questions and worksheets.

(I know I am biased. I love KONOS and Ellie.)