Menu

MAKE electronics

I am looking to get my dd (STEM kid) into electronics. Do you think I can take the MAKE electronics book and get a half credit of an "electronics" elective course during the summer?

I am going to order the book, but haven't just yet, so I'm kind of flying blind. Dd thinks it's all fascinating, and is eager to start. I will probably just get the book and let her do it one way or another, but I'd like her to get credit for it if she can.

Thanks Hive!

I have the MAKE Electronics books and it would make a great elective. Depending on how much time you spend on it, it could be 1/2 credit or a full credit. It's funny how my electrical engineering friends drool over that book - kind of like how I respond to the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry. :drool:

I worked through the beginning of the book, but I'm waiting on my second son to get a little older and do it together.

PS - ... there's a fair amount of supplies that are needed for the projects.

My son has worked through about half of the book. I think it's been successful. He's learned a lot. He has had debugging help from his father several times.

There are two kits available from MakerShed and from Radio Shack that are expensive but worth the money, even if you have a lot of components around already. (I didn't buy the first kit, but spent at least as much money and a lot of time buying parts. I bought the second kit.)

This blog is by a guy who worked through the book. My son found it helpful several times:

http://handsonelectr...s.blogspot.com/

My son is now branching off to Arduino.