Menu

Writing curriculum for DS11--Suggestions please

m0mmaBuck

I want to supplement DS's LA program (LLATL) with a writing curriculum. He hates writing and struggles with spelling (although grammar and reading are a breeze). I want a curriculum that can be done in small "bites" (say 15 min/day) that will help him formulate good, descriptive sentences, proper paragraphs, and ultimately 5-6 paragraph "essays."

Will Winning with Writing work for this? Or is there something else (that won't break the bank) that would be better? For example, I've heard great things about IEW but it is way too expensive for our budget.

Thanks.

My kids are weaker in writing and spelling, too. We used WWW and didn't like it. We now use Writing Tales and like it a lot. I like WT because it isn't the same assignment day after day (like WWW). The assignments are varied and center around a story. If you decide to use WT, I wouldn't bother purchasing the teacher's guide. The student workbook alone will get you through. It costs less than $20. We do about 15 minutes a day. I think WT is intended to have longer lessons, but we just do one page a day.