Menu

First grade plans

Maela

I have finally decided to do MFW 1st we have it and it looks great but I'm trying to decide if we will add anything! We will be adding Singapore and Miquon! I will take any suggestions it looks like we have everything we need but I'm always afraid I will forget something!

I'm not sure what we'll be doing for DD.

So far, this is the tentative plan as of today:

Oak Meadow 1 (includes recorder for music)

Right Start B w/some MM thrown in (DD loves to do problems, worksheets, etc.)

Handwriting w/o Tears 1st Grade

Reading whatever she likes (right now, she's into Junie B. Jones and is just getting interested in Magic Treehouse)

Egyptian Arabic (Michel Thomas)...it's a conversational audio Arabic course

Possibly Mr. Q's Life Science with her older brothers

Possibly Meet the Masters with her older brothers

Tae Kwon Do or Fencing

Math: Life of Fred, Primary Challenge Math, and continue with enrichment tutor

History and Literature: Sonlight B with occasional activities from WP Hideouts in History

Spelling: Spelling Power

Language Arts: Evan Moor Grammar and Punctuation to be followed by Grammar Through Writing or Evan Moor Daily Trait Writing and Story Telling, also Evan Moor Word a Day

Handwriting: Getty Dubay Italics

Greek: continue with tutor, possibly supplement with Greek for Children

Science: Evan Moor Daily Science, Magic School Bus Science Club, Watch Mr. Wizard, and Sonlight's Discover and Do DVDs ( Over half of my son's independent reading is science-related, so I'm keeping the planned stuff light. The DVDs are for occasional fun. My kids don't get to watch regular TV.)

Music: piano, Young People's Concerts

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Religion and Bible: This is so much a part of daily life that I won't be putting it in the schedule at this age.

For assigned independent reading, I'll just keep throwing books at him. I pick from a lot of different lists.

I'd like to find a Bible and poetry memorization program that's already planned out.

Here's my DD's list:

Math: Miquon Red

History: SOTW 1

Science: Real Science 4 kids (Not my top choice, but one that seems most likely to get done)

Spelling: AAS 2 (She finished AAS 1 at the beginning of her k'er year. I expect some review before we jump back in)

Grammar: FLL 2

Foreign Language: Song School Spanish

Handwriting: Italics Handwriting, Book A

WWE suggestions of copywork and dictation incorporated in the various subjects.

Activities: tumbling and piano

Art: Still haven't found an Art Curricula I like (I'm really picky with art) so we're sticking with Mary Ann Kohls books.

Critical Thinking/Logic: Lollipop Logic

Creative Thinking: Draw & Write (Not draw write now), Tin Man Press, Anti-Coloring Books, any other stuff I come across.

Handwriting: Form Drawing

Health: Through Life & Ocassionally from First Aid Book

Life Skills: Parables Home Economics + Maybe Little Keepers at Home

Literature: Story of Australia, Classic Chapter Books, Picture Books, all on rotation from our home library + stuff from local library.

Mathematics: Rightstart.

Social Studies: Succeeding in Social Studies 1 (Aus. book. Using because of the spiral method that goes upto current Aus)

Phonics: Bearing Away + Fitzroy

Unit Study/Complete: Konos

And thats apart from Project, Games and the rest of it. Daily is Math, Phonics & Konos. The rest is in a box that the kids pick from and decide what they want to do when we have time. So really our "curriculum" consists of Bearing Away, Rightstart & Konos.

We'll see where we're at in another 3 months though..

Very very - tentatively - as of Sept 1st:

Language Arts: (It sounds like a lot, but I'm hoping to spread the MCT material out over 1st & 2nd grades) MCT Sentence & Practice Island (w/ extra practice pages from KISS grammar), Music of the Hemispheres (w/ daily poetry), Building Language (w/ dictionary practice & Wordly Wise 3000 if we finish too quickly), Mud books for Intro Lit Analysis, A tbd selection of 6 classic children's books for read-a-loud practice, AAS 2, WWE1?? (I bought this jic, but I'll probably drop it since we'll be doing narration & copywork w/ history)

Math: we're currently on track to be mostly done with MEP 2, so MEP 3, BA 3, a little Miquon Blue/Green, Smullyan (King Arthur in Search of his Dog) & books about math concepts for fun.

Spanish: Salsa Spanish using the lesson plans from Wyoming Dept of Ed; Spanish for Children (both super slowly since we're doing them with her little sister too)

?Latin?: Song School Latin 1 (maybe... if we have time on our hands when we get to learning about Rome in history)

Science: BFSU 1, Junior First Lego League & Nature Study

History: SOTW 1 & AG (and maybe some related Geography activities if I find the time to pull something fun together).

Music: Piano

Art: ??? Still looking, she wants to learn to draw... :(

It sounds like a lot, but we're already doing everything but the Art & History now. I slowly added/adjusted the others over the past few months to make sure that we weren't doing anything that wasn't fun & engaging (and to make sure that our school days didn't go too long).

(edited - arghhhh formatting!)

We will start first grade in August (beginning? middle? end?). We will start with anything we don't finish this spring.

Math - Finish Saxon 2 (20 lessons to go!), start Saxon 3.

Phonics - Finish Saxon 1 (35 lessons to go!), start Saxon 2.

Writing - Finish IEW PAL Writing (part of Section 2, all of Section 3); begin TWSS possibly.

10 Terrific Weeks: Dinosaurs - This is a unit study from Usborne. Dd6 is LOVING their Adventures at Sea series, so we will do dinosaurs this fall; possibly Human Body to tie in with Life Science in the spring.

History - History Odyssey Ancients 1

Science - Science Odyssey Life 1

Usborne readers - the ones from K that we have not finished. We use them with Usborne quicklinks for brief unit studies.

Vocabulary - Finish Wordly Wise K, begin Wordly Wise 1.

Languages - Song School Latin 1; Usborne Spanish maybe; Chinese through local Chinese School.T

Typing - Dance Mat software or Mavis Beacon. Just to play with it a bit.

Cursive - a couple of introductory books from Amazon

Explode the Code/Beyond the Code - Continue the Series

Piano - Continue with My First Piano Adventures. Finish Book B; begin Book C.

Gym - Swim and Gym afterschool program; Gymnastics or Tae Kwan Do