Menu

Feeling totally overwhelmed...

AngelBee

Trying to organize and plan out for ds13, dd11, ds8, dd6, plus activities for dd3 and ds2.

I am sinking in indecision....and I have NO MONEY! Trying to figure out chemistry stuff with Montessori flare and no added cost. Then I panic that I should save and get some books....or a kit....or science equipment. :(

Added to that...they are all at different levels. We are on same topics, but all over the place ability wise.

And I am 17.5 weeks pregnant......with TWINS!!!!

I can't slow down as this is my less busy season. Sept-Feb are a WHIRL WIND!!! So now is the time for planning and getting a lot done.

Can I teach chemistry with just online resources and what I have at home??? Should I just take out of budget and buy something so I don't have to think this all through over and over and over???? :(

UGH!

I have purchased several used books from garage and library sales on Simple (Nature, Chemistry, Science, Kitchen) Experiments with Everyday Materials. Also check to see what kind of books the library might have. There are lots of science books with experiments in them that your kids can do on their own.

There are several websites that also have free chemistry lessons, experiments, etc... (the American Chemical Society and the Jason Project are two that come to mind)

First off, :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: . You are amazing!

Yes, you can teach chemistry with just online resources and consumer chemicals that you already have at home or can get at the grocery store and hardware store. This year we're working through the ACS Middle School Chemistry (http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/) curriculum. I didn't buy any of the extra stuff items that you can only get through a science supplier; we either substituted with something else or skipped over it. There is also lots of great chemistry to investigate with household materials—that real world connection helps to make concepts stick. This is from the viewpoint of someone who taught high school chemistry and still writes resources for the high school level.

Erica in OR