Menu

Social Studies credit....Help!

Dd is a sophomore and needs a total of three social studies credits to graduate. So far, she has done 1 credit of World Geography and 1/2 credit of American Government. Next year she will do 1/2 credit of comparative government. She needs 1 more credit, but really doesn't like history. She is very math/science oriented. Do you have any suggestions for social studies topics for either a full or half credit?

Thanks,

Karen

Dd is a sophomore and needs a total of three social studies credits to graduate. So far, she has done 1 credit of World Geography and 1/2 credit of American Government. Next year she will do 1/2 credit of comparative government. She needs 1 more credit, but really doesn't like history. She is very math/science oriented. Do you have any suggestions for social studies topics for either a full or half credit?

Thanks,

Karen

I would lean toward US History, especially if she's not likely to study it in college.

Is she college bound? Some states and some colleges have specific requirements that students take US history (and sometimes world history). So, before you explore alternatives I would make 100% sure she doesn't need to have history. I'd be inclined to require history, but be willing to be flexible about what that looks like. History doesn't have to be about memorizing names and dates or boring stuff. If she's liked government, a lot of history is really not that different. As far as other social science optiosn there are many including psychology, sociology, anthropology, geography, current issues, global issues, philosophy, women's studies, etc.