Menu

Online/DVD Science

ByGrace3

We have struggled to get science done this year. We are plugging along, but slowly. My kids love science. They love experiments, but I am horrible at getting to them. Perhaps there is something out there DVD or online based that they could do independently that came with a kit for experiments? I wouldn't mind once a week experiments if it came with a kit... This would be for next year for a first and third grader.

Aha! Science is online, and inexpensive. There's no experiment kit though.

You might want to invest in a big book of experiments aimed at young kids. We used one this one for years. The experiments were sorted by field, and mostly used common household things.

Thanks, I will check it out! I have several experiment books, and the ES experiments are unusually household items but I seem to always be missing at least one thing. Lol

The Discover & Do dvd's from Sonlight. You can get Sonlight science kits to go with them, if you want.

I have the DVD for core C, I was actually just looking at SL science. It looks like it has potential. We are not always great at getting to the experiments. Will a lot be lost if we are not super consistent with them? I am hoping the kit would help this though.

Looking at SL, which would be best for a first and third grader? I was looking at SL science C. We actually will be doing a modified version of SL core D next year.

I have the DVD for core C, I was actually just looking at SL science. It looks like it has potential. We are not always great at getting to the experiments. Will a lot be lost if we are not super consistent with them? I am hoping the kit would help this though.

Looking at SL, which would be best for a first and third grader? I was looking at SL science C. We actually will be doing a modified version of SL core D next year.

I'm sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about Sonlight and their cores. I only have the D&D dvds with some Sonlight kits that can go along with them. When Sonlight had confirmed with me what kits went with what dvd's....they told me that the dvd's & kits aren't really designed to be used alone without an instructor's guide and books (I'm assuming that means within a core). But, we are just watching the dvd's and finding the matching items in the kits and just doing it that way (although, this is just a fun supplement for us).

I agree with Discover and Do DVDs. You can also buy them other places than Sonlight (like Amazon or Christian Books), although Sonlight's supply kits make it easy. (The DVDs are actually made by InquisiCorps, not Sonlight.) And you do not have to use Sonlight's science curriculum to use the Discover & Do DVDs. They are separate products and do not always line up with the way Sonlight schedules their books anyway. When we used the Discover & Do DVDs, we ditched Sonlight's teacher manual and just followed the instructions in the DVDs themselves. It's more hands-on to watch the DVD segment and then do the project on your own, but your kids could learn a lot by just watching the DVDs if the projects aren't do-able for you.

But no matter what you use, I wouldn't expect a 3rd and 1st grader to be able to "do experiments" by themselves.

At that age my DS also liked watching Beakman's World videos. They actually teach quite a bit by showing lots of hands-on science.