Menu

Top resources you would bring back from a trip overseas?

Dancer_Mom

We have a great opportunity as a friend of ours will be visiting Romania. We lived there as young adults and only returned with a minimal number of books in Romanian. This was ten years ago and we didn't imagine we would decide to teach our children the language.

We are now teaching our children Romanian. I speak to them in Romanian and we have a handful of books. We use youtube to watch shows in Romanian. Otherwise the offerings on Amazon are slim to none. There is one website that offers some books and DVD's but the ordering isn't set up well for international shipping.

So if all he could do was ship several boxes or possibly bring one small suitcase of stuff back - what would you suggest? I am thinking mostly books that cover many different reading levels. Maybe some DVD's? What might I not be considering?

Paperback books to maximize the number while minimizing weight. A variety of levels, a variety of subjects. A few familiar stories that have been translated to Romanian so one can more easily discern what is happening in the story and therefore decode the language (I'm doing this with Peter Pan in Turkish).

A dictionary. Not a Romanian -English translation one but a straight Romanian dictionary. Ok, maybe a translation one too.

DVDs are helpful too, but with region encoding you may have trouble playing them in the US. We had this problem, it's frustrating.

What about audio CDs? DS has a bunch of CDs of nursery rhymes and kids' songs in French, and I find the vocab that is incorporated into the songs he remembers much better than otherwise. He will go around the house singing them. I guess it would depend on how old your child is, too.

What about audio CDs? DS has a bunch of CDs of nursery rhymes and kids' songs in French, and I find the vocab that is incorporated into the songs he remembers much better than otherwise. He will go around the house singing them. I guess it would depend on how old your child is, too.

I like this idea as well - I have 4 year old twins and one of them loves trying to pick up words to songs so I think this would work especially with him.

Thank you everybody - every single post so far has something I didn't think of - anything else?

How old are your children?

I would want books and audiobooks. And a dictionary, not a translation one but a regular one. Summer review workbooks might be nice for a little written work (the French have these - don't know if they are common in Romania). Song books, especially folk songs, which have some unusual vocabulary and are very singable over and overable. CDs of children's songs. What about a children's cookbook? Then you could cook in Romanian and work on kitchen vocabulary. (Or perhaps you could write one yourself?) I think I would think about which vocabulary you need and select books accordingly. If you are fluent in Romanian and speaking it at home, then cooking vocabulary will come naturally while you make cookies with your children and a cook book wouldn't be very useful. What would be useful was a nature book that has jungle animals (for example), things you don't have in your house or discuss naturally in the course of your day. Or science books so they can learn that vocabulary. Children's history books would be good, also. A geography book would be nice. They would have to be things your children would want to read or have read to them, though. The French have very appealling nice children's non-fiction. Do the Romanians? What are your children interested in? Books about those interests would be good. For example, if one likes soccer, perhaps there are biographies of soccer heros? Or a book on soccer moves? I would look for folk/fairy tales as well because those are easy to read over and over. What about a game or two? The biggest thing I would consider is whether the book would interest my children enough for them to want to read it. If not, it won't be very effective. If all else fails, I would get TinTin books lol, if they are translated into Romanian. I KNOW my children would read those.

Nan