Menu

Oldest recommended age to begin Classical Conversations?

DS is doing Cycle 1 of Foundations this year at age 11. He could benefit from another year there, but we will move up to Essentials due to financial constraints. (We can afford to either Foundations or Essentials but not both; I feel Essentials will do more for him.)

As for Latin, we are trying to learn the declensions as they come up, but I'm not putting a lot of emphasis on Latin during our regular school days. We have too much on our plate to take up Latin too (LDs).

The title says it all.....if you wanted to join Classical Conversations, what would you say is the oldest reasonable age to join without being overwhelmed?

How do you "catch up" if you haven't begun Latin yet, or have been studying a different period of history?

This was our first year with CC, dd14 is in Challenge B, ds12 is in Challenge A, and ds/dd9 are in Essentials. We had never studied Latin. Dd is pulling a B based on her weekly quiz scores, and ds a C+. Having not studied Latin before, I am ok with that knowing they will improve a lot next year. Looking at your signature, your kids are still very young. They would have no problems jumping in now, definitely not too late.

This was our first year with CC, dd14 is in Challenge B, ds12 is in Challenge A, and ds/dd9 are in Essentials. We had never studied Latin. Dd is pulling a B based on her weekly quiz scores, and ds a C+. Having not studied Latin before, I am ok with that knowing they will improve a lot next year. Looking at your signature, your kids are still very young. They would have no problems jumping in now, definitely not too late.

Cheryl,

Are you happy/unhappy with it so far? What do you like & dislike about it? My son is 14, finishing 8th grade this year & I am considering CC for next year. The local community only offers Challenge A & B right now, unless I want to consider being a tutor for Challenge 1. I'm worrried Challenge B would be too easy for him.

Cheryl,

Are you happy/unhappy with it so far? What do you like & dislike about it? My son is 14, finishing 8th grade this year & I am considering CC for next year. The local community only offers Challenge A & B right now, unless I want to consider being a tutor for Challenge 1. I'm worrried Challenge B would be too easy for him.

I would feel very good choosing Challenge B. It won't be too easy, trust me. If he has never studied Latin, he will be very busy with that, the logic is not at all easy, and the amount of writing they do is substantial. The only thing I felt was close to light was the reading selections for lit, but the papers they do and the discussions are not. The difficulty level, or how challenging it is will come down to the tutor. I can not emphasize more how key it is to having a good tutor, especially for the high school years. Visit the class several times. If you think it really won't meet his needs, look into tutoring Challenge 1. We did do some supplementing, and if you would like to hear more about that, pm me.