Menu

Singapore Math supplements

Alessandra

I am wondering about SM supplements, the ones listed on the SM website:

Math Sprints

Math Express

Visible Thinking

Process Skills

I am looking for reinforcement & practice for a dd, who is slow math learner. She has an excellent visual memory; Miquon has been a big success.

I am hoping that some people here have experience with some of these titles. I've looked at the samples, but am still undecided about what would suit us best. BTW, we have all (don't use all, but have) the regular SM books & instructor guides.

We had Math Sprints, but honestly didn't use it like I thought we would... My DD just didn't care for the "drill" factor.

What I found more helpful was to buy the texts and workbooks from Math in Focus (they run about $10 a piece). They often present the SAME info in a slightly different manner, and sometimes I like their workbook pages better (or use it for extra practice). I do NOT plan on switching to MiF, but I've found it to be a great supplement.

Another Process Skills user here. I like them.

I initially purchased Process Skills Level 1 because I I liked the idea of the Process Skills teaching my younger dd strategies for solving problems before she launched into the tougher CWP books. Now I've decided to use the Process Skills books for at least a couple more levels, and for both daughters. They Process books are much more explicit in teaching problem-solving strategies than the CWP, including how and when to use the different bar model types. (ETA: My plan is to do the Process Skills book, and then the corresponding level's CWP.)

I've used Math Sprints, and am on the fence about them. I may give them another try because my dd is begging for them again. They're good for building math skills.

We had Math Sprints, but honestly didn't use it like I thought we would... My DD just didn't care for the "drill" factor.

What I found more helpful was to buy the texts and workbooks from Math in Focus (they run about $10 a piece). They often present the SAME info in a slightly different manner, and sometimes I like their workbook pages better (or use it for extra practice). I do NOT plan on switching to MiF, but I've found it to be a great supplement.

I have some doubts about math sprints too, but I will keep looking at samples. I looked at some MIF materials, but we are already using several programs, I'm thinking I'll stick with what I have.

I used iExcel... I assume it's been replaced by the process skills books.

Love them for extra practice with setting up bar models and using bar models for word problems.

The Process Skills do look nice.

Another Process Skills user here. I like them.

I initially purchased Process Skills Level 1 because I I liked the idea of the Process Skills teaching my younger dd strategies for solving problems before she launched into the tougher CWP books. Now I've decided to use the Process Skills books for at least a couple more levels, and for both daughters. They Process books are much more explicit in teaching problem-solving strategies than the CWP, including how and when to use the different bar model types. (ETA: My plan is to do the Process Skills book, and then the corresponding level's CWP.)

I've used Math Sprints, and am on the fence about them. I may give them another try because my dd is begging for them again. They're good for building math skills.

Thanks for replying. It was actually your post in a different thread that got me to thinking abou SM supplements. I'm glad to hear that you feel the Process Skills are simpler than CWP. That is a plus for us.

The Visual Thinking also looks pretty step by step. If anyone has used it, I would love to hear about it.

I actually found one of the Math Express books on my shelf -- much too complicated for my dd!!