Menu

Free Vintage Grammar Stage Bible Curriculum: stick-in-the-dirt, multi-year, mastery based, 49 pages to print.

Hunter

Primary Teacher's Manual for Sunday-school Workers

This is a stick-in-the-dirt, mastery based, less-is-more curriculum. You only need to print pages 40-89. The course of study is expected to take 3-5 years to complete.

There are excellent instructions for teaching grammar stage children to memorize and recite interspersed throughout the entire curriculum, that I believe can be applied to history and other subjects, after you have learned to apply them to the included Bible lessons.

The "Four Foundations" are taught.

1-The Lord's Prayer

2-The Ten commandments

3-The Beatitudes

4-The 23rd Psalm

There is considerable time devoted to memorizing lists of "Bible People". Suggestions on how to do this are included, as well as suggestions for further study on the people in the lists.

1-The Patriarchs

2-The Judges

3-The Kings

4-The Prophets

5-The Apostles

There is a Catechism that corresponds with the "Bible People" memory work and is broken up into time periods.

There are instructions on singing, memorizing and selecting Hymns.

Yes, the appendix looks really. really useful. Thanks!

The first part of the book looks positively delightful. And I love the little ditty about avoiding wine, lol. I'm guessing this book is Presbyterian? The author's name is Knox, after all.

Yes, the appendix looks really. really useful. Thanks!

The first part of the book looks positively delightful. And I love the little ditty about avoiding wine, lol. I'm guessing this book is Presbyterian? The author's name is Knox, after all.

I don't know the denomination, but she's both OCD and realistic, so she caught my attention :lol: There is NOTHING I enjoy more than to read a book written by someone that is both OCD and realistic! Now you have me curious. I was so busy looking at the course of study from an academic point of view that I wasn't really paying much attention to the Spiritual aspect. I have always used the Bible as the base of unit studies and as the main literature book, even while I have struggled with faith issues. I just don't know how to teach without using the Bible; Western literature and culture is built off of it.

Unlike most "free" Bible curricula, this program doesn't require a lot of expensive printing. I like it.

Thanks! I have been loving exploring all the "stick in the dirt" curricula available for free.

The thing I love about stick-in-the-dirt curricula is that they teach me how to be a teacher, and give me ideas that carry across all subjects. Years ago teachers knew how to teach because they had been taught. So much is often not written in the lean little texts, because I don't think the authors could imagine that children could grown up into teachers without having been taught.

But many of us did acquire a sizable amount of knowledge and some skills without being TAUGHT. :confused: It's kind of amazing that we got here. But it's not easily transferable. We can't pass on what we know without mounds and mounds of paper, because that is the only method we know.

I find it downright exciting to learn these methods. It's like I feel the pathways in my brain knitting, as the obvious is pointed out to me. After I read about these methods, I think, "How could I not have known that?"

The thing I love about stick-in-the-dirt curricula is that they teach me how to be a teacher, and give me ideas that carry across all subjects. Years ago teachers knew how to teach because they had been taught. So much is often not written in the lean little texts, because I don't think the authors could imagine that children could grown up into teachers without having been taught.

But many of us did acquire a sizable amount of knowledge and some skills without being TAUGHT. :confused: It's kind of amazing that we got here. But it's not easily transferable. We can't pass on what we know without mounds and mounds of paper, because that is the only method we know.

I find it downright exciting to learn these methods. It's like I feel the pathways in my brain knitting, as the obvious is pointed out to me. After I read about these methods, I think, "How could I not have known that?"

That is exactly why these texts are so appealing--I have to learn to TEACH them (not shouting there--I am on an iPad and can't bold). I love the ease of modern curricula, but it doesn't, for the most part, teach me how to be a better teacher. The newer stuff seems more easy to teach than simple, if you know what I mean--lots of bells and whistles to replace the teacher's lack of understanding. The longer I do this, the more I come to realize that for me, becoming a better teacher is much more vital than choosing a better program. For me this is especially true in the skills areas.

I wish there was more discussion of the teaching part of homeschooling. I don't always even know what to ask, but I jump on threads that talk about how to teach better, or philosophy/methodology/pedagogy topics, because I know I fall short there.

That is exactly why these texts are so appealing--I have to learn to TEACH them (not shouting there--I am on an iPad and can't bold). I love the ease of modern curricula, but it doesn't, for the most part, teach me how to be a better teacher. The newer stuff seems more easy to teach than simple, if you know what I mean--lots of bells and whistles to replace the teacher's lack of understanding. The longer I do this, the more I come to realize that for me, becoming a better teacher is much more vital than choosing a better program. For me this is especially true in the skills areas.

I wish there was more discussion of the teaching part of homeschooling. I don't always even know what to ask, but I jump on threads that talk about how to teach better, or philosophy/methodology/pedagogy topics, because I know I fall short there.

yes! I totally agree! I wish there was a "how to teach" book for homeschool parents. Maybe there is...?

If you find it, let me know. I am finding inspirational/methodology books, and obscure theoretical/pedagogical books, but few how to teach books, and none aimed at homeschoolers. Some have recommended books by Rafe Esquith and Marva Collins, but they are still public school teachers. And Marva scares me... Great teacher and all, but intimidating. (That is just my own quirk, I am sure.). I need the step between theory and day to day lessons spelled out a little more. I do know that Hunter has recommended reading TMs as one way to learn how to teach better. I tend to hang out here no watch for great conversations. :)

Remember the heated Marva Collins thread? :lol: We don't have many heated threads here, but unfortunately even I was reduced to acting like a child.

I spend so much time teasing a drip here and a drip there out of curricula. I'm dehydrated and trying to swallow far too much food, so that I can absorb the little bit of water contained in them. I'm obese with curricula, and still dehydrated. Ahhhh, but those precious drops of water, that I tease out of the TMs are so rewarding when I see a students eyes light up as they ask me, "How come nobody taught me like THIS before?"

I love explicit curricula. Bang, bang, bang. :smash: