Menu

Help with progesterone cream use?

I started Pro-Gest Emerita on Thursday (today being Saturday). Haven't noticed any side effects except today I felt extremely nauseous, the thought of chocolate made me sick (not NORMAL!!!), and I was very sleepy. Yes, just like I have felt in the first and second trimesters of pregnancy. I am not pregnant. Maybe I don't need this progesterone cream? Or am using too much? Any advice? I use 1/4 tsp in a.m. I am planning to take it 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off for PMS (severe) symptoms.

I have been reading online trying to understand what causes nausea during pregnancy....increased hormones.

Should I stick with it for a bit longer? Maybe reduce dose to 1/8. Next week starting around Thursday begins my normal PMS. I want to see if it helps. Though the past year or two I have been having symptoms as early as 2 weeks before my period starts.

Blak, I knew it may be too good to be true. I can't handle nausea...especially when I don't get a baby as a reward in the end! lol

I started Pro-Gest Emerita on Thursday (today being Saturday). Haven't noticed any side effects except today I felt extremely nauseous, the thought of chocolate made me sick (not NORMAL!!!), and I was very sleepy. Yes, just like I have felt in the first and second trimesters of pregnancy. I am not pregnant. Maybe I don't need this progesterone cream? Or am using too much? Any advice? I use 1/4 tsp in a.m. I am planning to take it 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off for PMS (severe) symptoms.

I have been reading online trying to understand what causes nausea during pregnancy....increased hormones.

Should I stick with it for a bit longer? Maybe reduce dose to 1/8. Next week starting around Thursday begins my normal PMS. I want to see if it helps. Though the past year or two I have been having symptoms as early as 2 weeks before my period starts.

Blak, I knew it may be too good to be true. I can't handle nausea...especially when I don't get a baby as a reward in the end! lol

If you haven't read this site, it may be worth it. There is a ton of info which should address your situation.

If it were me, I'd reduce the amount like you mention, before giving it up. If it continues, contact your compounding pharmacist and he/she should be able to help.

Hmmm. I'm not sure. It doesn't do that to me. Make sure to start on day 14 of your cycle, and I would start with 1/2 a packet (I have the packet form, so 1/4 tsp?) and work up. Have you tried Vitex instead? It's safe for breastfeeding.

Is Emerita not safe for breastfeeding? I thought it was.... I have the tube form so I have been measuring out 1/4 tsp. I was going to move up next week (PMS) to 1/4 in am and 1/4 at night.

If you haven't read this site, it may be worth it. There is a ton of info which should address your situation.

If it were me, I'd reduce the amount like you mention, before giving it up. If it continues, contact your compounding pharmacist and he/she should be able to help.

Thanks. I will look into that site. I will lower the dose tomorrow and continue on.

I have used progesterone for about a year. It is the only thing that has worked for me for PMS. I mean the *only* thing! I've tried everything else, lol. I never had any side effects, but I have heard sleepiness can occur. I started out using 1/4 both morning and night, but I've been able to cut back to 1/4 just at night. I use it three weeks on, one week off (period). I can really tell when I am off it because my thinking is so foggy. Other than when I was pregnant (and making it naturally, I suppose), I haven't felt this "normal" in years. I hope it works for you! It has seriously given me my life back.

I was reading online that nausea may mean liver dysfunction. I have in the past AND today had pain on my right side under ribcage. Wonder if it is all connected. I may schedule an appointment with my doctor and get some blood work. I will mention the progesterone...though not sure if he'd be for or against it. I will take some tonight instead of in am. I did reduce dose this morning and haven't felt as nauseous. I took 1/8 tsp.

How do I know if I don't actually NEED progesterone cream? Maybe I just need to change my diet, habits and PMS will be better??

For me, the progesterone was just the last thing I had left to try. I had already done the diet and lifestyle changes, for *years.* I had basically tried everything short of a hysterectomy and that was next, as I couldn't function half the month. I noticed that I only felt "normal" during pregnancy and as the pregnancy hormones faded, I felt worse and worse. You can get blood tests or saliva tests to check your progesterone level if you don't think you need it or if you want to try other options first.