Menu

What do I want? (spelling - AAS, WRTR, ?)

LMD

Hi there! After some advice please, sorry for another spelling thread!

I'm looking to do some more intense spelling instruction with my DD, aged 7.5. She is slightly advanced, working at mostly 3rd grade across the board. Great reader (about 5th+ level), picks things up quickly.

She already has a pretty full load this year, both in general and in LA where we're doing Grammar Island and Classical Writing (we have 2 more weeks of Primer level before moving on to Aesop). Grammar Island doesn't cover spelling as far as I can see, Aesop does have a spelling option/suggestion, but I'd like something more structured. It looks like my DD has my husband's spelling sense!

I'd like something incremental, not too expensive or time consuming, if I can combine DS (1st grade) that would be great. I'm eyeing AAS as I like the idea of phonics review for both of them as well... but I'm not sure, I have a feeling it might be too cumbersome, but then I think that phonics and spelling are so important that a bit of repetition won't hurt.

I've also been reading some of Ellie's posts about WRTR and am intrigued - can someone tell me more about this, specifically, how a lesson looks and how it relates to other LA the student is doing (ie, does it use spelling words in context with other LA being studied?)

Or should I just do what I was thinking of doing, create weekly lists based on a couple of words from our other LA, using ABC's and all their tricks to create a phonics based spelling list that is in context?

I have looked at workbooks like Spelling Power and I don't think that's what I want, it seems too abstract and removed from 'in practice' spelling that I don't think it would translate well for my DD.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

We did AAS and I am glad we did it, but I didn't like the time it took those first 2 levels. The 3-6th levels were less time for us. But it wasn't my favorite thing. We moved to R&S this year and I really like it. It makes them work with the words on deeper level. It's very independent and takes us 4 days a week. Three sections of working with the words and a test day. It is a Christian publisher so sentences do have Biblical references and some of the words are Biblical/church words. But it makes my kids think through the rules and I wish I had looked at this earlier instead of AAS.