Menu

C8 Sciences Brain Training

DyslexicParent

The new C8 Sciences online cognitive training program had an "introductory" price of $150, but it has changed its pricing model to a strange "pay what you want". After being ripped off by AttenGo, I am skeptical of paying for brain software or movement-based therapies, so I am trying this out for free first before giving any money.

There are optional assessments with fixed prices no matter how much you had decided to pay, so another way that I can give them money is to pay for an assessment later. I got a coupon code which supposedly gives a free initial assessment but I haven't seen that option yet.

It is marketed at 5 to 10-year old children. It consists of three computer games and 80 physical exercises. The first game reminded my 11-year old of the very boring AttenGo task and she cried at first, :sad: but she liked the butterfly game and getting rewarded to buy items for a virtual garden. The three games are simpler than other so-called "brain training" games, but at least it won't cost you $2,000 like Cogmed before finding out if it worked.

I've been doing the physical exercises with her and so far I like them better than what I have seen of Brain Gym, The Dore Program and other unscientific movement-based therapies. Even if C8-Kids does not improve her attention and thinking abilities, it will at least make me more fit! :001_smile: If anybody else has tried C8-Kids, please post what you think.

• 1 month later...

I started it with my dd yesterday. They'll throw in a free assessment if you put that you found it through the Cathy Duffy reviews (select from the pulldown), don't even need the code. Since I found it through the Cathy Duffy reviews email and you found it through me, you found it through Cathy Duffy. :)

Anyways, definitely sign up for it. I'm INCREDIBLY impressed. It has a dual-pronged approach of physical exercises and computer work. Both are well-done and worth the effort. The physical exercises are on the young side for dd (almost 14) but your 7 yo will eat them up. There are 80 physical exercises and I think probably 80 levels on the computer stuff. They also have the physical exercise instructions available as a pdf, meaning you can use them with your other kids or do them together as a group (print and use). My dd went through 4 levels in one 15 minute session of the computer stuff, but that may be because we've already done other things. It's definitely challenging, definitely worth doing, and you have to love the price (donation). I'm assuming they'll bump the price back up as word gets out.

I'm really curious to see how things change for her. It's really hard to find *affordable* options that work on processing speed. They give you the preliminary assessment at the beginning, and I may pay for an assessment through them at the end (you can add that at any time) just to see what stats have changed. The only odd thing to me was them wanting to do the prelim. assessment after 6 lessons. But whatever, it's their system. Maybe they're trying to eliminate issues with how the dc uses the mouse, etc. that could skew the scores?

In any case, yes, go for it, highly recommend. The price is right and it seems to me it's gotta move SOMETHING.

• 3 weeks later...

Below are the results from the first Cognitive Benchmark Report. I like the physical exercises of Neuronet better, so we have not had the time to do the C8-Kids exercises.

Flanker Test

Accuracy Reaction Time

Score 100 % 774 milliseconds

Percentile (Globe) 100 % 62 %

Dimensional Change Card Sort

Accuracy Reaction Time

Score 63 % 700 milliseconds

Percentile (Globe) 49 % 92 %

Go/No-Go Test

Correct "Go" trials Correct "No-Go" trials

Score 98 % 33 %

Percentile (Globe) 55 % 26 %

Working Memory Test

Overall Score Part II Score

Score 15 6

Percentile (Globe) 58 % 61 %

Was this the first report or an additional one you purchased?

My sons first report showed his accuracy rates high, but his response time very low. I am having him do them as much as possible, but was hoping to ask other users what they thought of the game What Comes Next? I can't even choose the correct response. I don't understand the sequences.

My son has a very hard time with the ball game - staying focused, keeping track. He tells me stories the whole time; drives me crazy. Using C8Kids may not help him, but it sure points out where the issues are.

• 2 months later...

What's her function level? I haven't even thought to put my ds4 on it, but he seems a lot less mature than I remember my dd being at the same age. You could do some metronome and digit span work and see how that goes.

I don't think there's a time limit on the C8Kids, so you could sign up and just give it a try. If she gets overwhelmed, stop and come back to it later.