Menu

Sniff, sniff, I think DD might take her basics in outside classes next year

I think we have decided that next year I need to focus on being oldest DD's Mom, more than her teacher. She works really well for outside teachers, not so well for me. As much as it pains me I think she will take Math, English, History, and Latin in outside classes next year if we can get spots in the various classes. Science is still up in the air. NUMATS is out, it's just to expensive, so I'm trying to decide what to do for high school chemistry. I'm sure I'll still be involved, but now I have to let her make some of those mistakes before she officially hits high school. :( I didn't think it would come quite this soon.

:grouphug:

It may be worth attempting to get financial aid for NUMATS. I think about applying for it for some courses to see if we can take them at some point.

I also think knowing when we need to make changes for the kids is probably one of the best things we can do... and likely one of the hardest too.

I was ready to use an online charter school earlier this year when I couldn't teach my son. Instead, my husband was able to pick up and teach for a while. I'm back to teaching my son again and it's going much smoother than it did in the past. We'll see how long it lasts!

:grouphug: Hope the changes work well for you all. Letting go is tough. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

It may be worth attempting to get financial aid for NUMATS. I think about applying for it for some courses to see if we can take them at some point.

I also think knowing when we need to make changes for the kids is probably one of the best things we can do... and likely one of the hardest too.

I was ready to use an online charter school earlier this year when I couldn't teach my son. Instead, my husband was able to pick up and teach for a while. I'm back to teaching my son again and it's going much smoother than it did in the past. We'll see how long it lasts!

:grouphug: Hope the changes work well for you all. Letting go is tough. :grouphug:

Your post is reassuring, maybe there will come a day where she will work better with me in the future.

I think we have decided that next year I need to focus on being oldest DD's Mom, more than her teacher. She works really well for outside teachers, not so well for me. As much as it pains me I think she will take Math, English, History, and Latin in outside classes next year if we can get spots in the various classes. Science is still up in the air. NUMATS is out, it's just to expensive, so I'm trying to decide what to do for high school chemistry. I'm sure I'll still be involved, but now I have to let her make some of those mistakes before she officially hits high school. :( I didn't think it would come quite this soon.

I could have written your first two sentences two years ago. Seventh grade was a super challenge here for me and DD. I don't have any good advice, just encouragement. We put her in PS for 8th grade and she blossomed. It was such a struggle to decide, but I have no regrets. We decided to do it in 8th grade to get her used to the 'system' and make some friends before hitting the enormous local high school. I miss her at home but it was the right decision for us. I wish you both well!

I could have written your first two sentences two years ago. Seventh grade was a super challenge here for me and DD. I don't have any good advice, just encouragement. We put her in PS for 8th grade and she blossomed. It was such a struggle to decide, but I have no regrets. We decided to do it in 8th grade to get her used to the 'system' and make some friends before hitting the enormous local high school. I miss her at home but it was the right decision for us. I wish you both well!

This DD is one of my kids that would never go back to public school, she'll be home until college so this is the best I can do. I'm glad that it worked for your DD. :)