Menu

Studying Cells - Plant and Animal

Bang!Zoom!

Just looking for a shout out of former favorite resources or ideas. Thanks if you have anything to share. :)

This is probably not going to be a one week deal, something with some heft would be great. No particular level/pacing, just throw out whatever comes to mind and in any related form (art/science/math/music/history..whatever)

Thanks again.

I'm not sure what level you're looking for. We just finished Ellen McHenry's Cells (animal cells only). It's probably middle school to high school level in the scientific concepts, but she keeps it very fun and engaging. It would probably be overkill for a young child who is first being introduced to the concept of cells.

1. Microquests series by Rebecca L. Johnson and Enjoy Your Cells series by Frances R. Balkwill -- these are more on the elementary level
  2. Books by Alvin Silverstein e.g. DNA
  3. The Way We Work by David Macaulay
  4. Isaac Asimov's How Did We Find Out About series e.g.How Did We Find Out About Blood? If you scroll down this list, you'll find some of Asimov's books for free
  5. Learn Genetics
  6. Consider a Thinkwell Biology course. Now heavily discounted on Homeschool Buyers Coop (only till Jan 31 I believe) -- we really, really like the way George Wolfe presents the lectures
  7. Crash Course videos on YouTube -- biology topics
  8. You could also consider an epidemiology study -- my kiddo learned a lot about cells by reading up about diseases. Two very readable tomes by Jeanette Farrell: Invisible Enemies and Invisible Allies
  9. Ellen has a Cells curriculum available now -- we haven't started it yet but it looks like a great intro for a very enthusiastic multi-level kiddo.
  10. Also, the Teaching Company Great Course: The Science of Life (we haven't started this either but it looks interesting). Check your library first. If not available, wait for a sale!
  11. BBC's The Hidden Life of the Cell (available on YouTube)
  12. ETA: I completely forgot about Cells Alive! There are cell animations and also scrambled up cell jigsaw puzzles to solve
  13. Also, SpongeLab. It's been a while since my son used this but I think it's still free but registration is required. They have some cool games and simulations. Although it's not the easiest site to navigate, it's worth a look.

And watch LOTS of David Attenborough too...he might not touch particularly on cells but he gives a fantastic bigger picture of biology that might get an interested child even more interested in learning the details.

I wanted to add two more higher level texts:

1. Exploring The Way Life Works by Hoagland is a very beautifully illustrated introduction to biology but it really depends on the kid -- could be too detailed for some

2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - riveting and moving book about one woman's cancer cells. It reads like a novel but again, not for every child. Kiddo loved it! But we've introduced him to mature topics before. There is mention of rape, molest, and there are a number of foul words used throughout but it really opened up my eyes to what goes on in labs in the name of science. Definitely read all reviews or preview first before handing it to a younger child!

Have fun!

1. Microquests series by Rebecca L. Johnson and Enjoy Your Cells series by Frances R. Balkwill -- these are more on the elementary level

2. Books by Alvin Silverstein e.g. DNA

3. The Way We Work by David Macaulay

4. Isaac Asimov's How Did We Find Out About series e.g.How Did We Find Out About Blood? If you scroll down this list, you'll find some of Asimov's books for free

5. Learn Genetics

6. Consider a Thinkwell Biology course. Now heavily discounted on Homeschool Buyers Coop (only till Jan 31 I believe) -- we really, really like the way George Wolfe presents the lectures

7. Crash Course videos on YouTube -- biology topics

8. You could also consider an epidemiology study -- my kiddo learned a lot about cells by reading up about diseases. Two very readable tomes by Jeanette Farrell: Invisible Enemies and Invisible Allies

9. Ellen has a Cells curriculum available now -- we haven't started it yet but it looks like a great intro for a very enthusiastic multi-level kiddo.

10. Also, the Teaching Company Great Course: The Science of Life (we haven't started this either but it looks interesting). Check your library first. If not available, wait for a sale!

11. BBC's The Hidden Life of the Cell (available on YouTube)

12. ETA: I completely forgot about Cells Alive! There are cell animations and also scrambled up cell jigsaw puzzles to solve

13. Also, SpongeLab. It's been a while since my son used this but I think it's still free but registration is required. They have some cool games and simulations. Although it's not the easiest site to navigate, it's worth a look.

And watch LOTS of David Attenborough too...he might not touch particularly on cells but he gives a fantastic bigger picture of biology that might get an interested child even more interested in learning the details.

I wanted to add two more higher level texts:

1. Exploring The Way Life Works by Hoagland is a very beautifully illustrated introduction to biology but it really depends on the kid -- could be too detailed for some

2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - riveting and moving book about one woman's cancer cells. It reads like a novel but again, not for every child. Kiddo loved it! But we've introduced him to mature topics before. There is mention of rape, molest, and there are a number of foul words used throughout but it really opened up my eyes to what goes on in labs in the name of science. Definitely read all reviews or preview first before handing it to a younger child!

Have fun!

Great list! I don't think the Asimov book's list is working--could you check it?

Thanks guys. On that list she's started the BBC 3 part- and that thing is glorious. She really likes it.

I'm not exactly sure how we'll manage bouncing back and forth from animal to cell, but it's not like it has a due date anyway. She seems to have a pretty noticeable spark going for this right now. I think this may last a while.

For making models, we are going this weekend to pick up materials (I don't want to make the pizza/cake types) I think they will have to be a bit larger to hold a lot of detail- was a bit frustrated looking for better ones yesterday. We'll probably end up at the hardware store to make shells to start.

If I wanted to teach surface geometry with the cells - what types should I be looking at? The math skills I still haven't gotten a list for.

I was thinking of some of the hyperbolic structures of corals to teach compactness, then the basic surface area shapes- but can't think of what else? Is there some mass and weights or pressures I should be thinking of? Do you think there's a way to fold in the periodic elements that would help, or is that more on the chemistry and interior reaction side of things?

Checked out Ellen, did the printouts for Ch. 1 examples, very nice.

Crash Course is highly entertaining and quite the jewel!

Great list! I don't think the Asimov book's list is working--could you check it?

I tried it and it works for me. May be a browser issue? If you click the link, you should see Arvind Gupta's Books and Toys page. Then click on English under Books. Quite a lot of good stuff in there apart from Asimov and science e.g. Martin Gardner puzzles, history etc. HTH!

Geez Quark, that Arvind link is going to blow my mind. That's just amazing. Wow.

How did you ever come across that one?

He's an amazing, amazing man. We've taught a number of his toys from trash projects as volunteers to high-risk kids. I had previously heard of his work from a veteran homeschooler. We've seen him on TED as well. He is very dedicated to the education of underprivileged kids. Enjoy!

http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

I've been wondering what math discipline to weave in with this, and I stumbled on this link up in the HS forum today. On that blog there were worksheets I found and they are positively perfect for cell study. I know we don't have "tags" currently on the board, but wanted to throw this in this thread for anyone that is searching in the future.

The worksheets are here: http://www.swccd.edu/~mseteachingresources/msetrshare/suhsd/biology/Semester%201/4.3%20SA-V%20ratio.pdf