Menu

MCT users: ever skip a Grammar book?

I'm thinking of skipping Grammar Voyage, or maybe just doing the section on phrases. We're just finishing the Town level, and she really, really gets it. Really. She will feel a little insulted to go back to a discussion of nounds, verbs, subjects and predicates. If you've used more than one level of MCT, do you ever skip the grammar book? I guess I can see how it would be good to review everything at the beginning of a new year, if you've had a summer off, but to pick up in the middle of the year, I'm feeling like it's grammar overkill. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? How much do you really need to repeat this stuff, anyway?

I would either use Voyage or do something else for a year before going to Magic Lens level. ML is still excellent, but the storylines and fun parts are stripped away, leaving more of a down-to-business grammar program. That is great for a middle school student, but may feel dry to a kid who is still expecting 'Call me Fishmeal.!

Thanks for the feedback. We will definitely go over the phrase and clause sections of GV, and do the rest of the Voyage level before moving on to Magic Lense. We're also adding Kilgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School, and dd is enjoying that. I'm not in a hurry to push ahead, but I don't want to lose the enjoyment/engagement by continuing to go over things that are already mastered, KWIM?

While I have your attention - are either of you or anyone else using the writing portions of the upper MCT lessons? I'm considering skipping those, as I'm very happy with WWS for writing. I just wonder if I'm missing anything . . .

Rose, I wondered the same thing. Problem is, I have a feeling we should have skipped Grammar Town instead of Grammar Voyage!! :) I'm sure we'll go through GV, but I'm thinking I'll probably just have him skim over the "parts of speech" sections for a quick review.

Listening in for answers about the writing...