Menu

trouble getting refund back from the IRS

Halftime Hope

We e-filed like usual, but honked up something on one of the young adult's returns, so we had to paper file for ourselves. The IRS received our paperwork, the system says that it is being processed, but they have no way of contacting the IRS to see what progress they've made and where our 2011 refund is. They had our $ all these months, and dh can't find any way to get it moving.

Any suggestions? He says there is no one to call, and when he called a general number, it said not to call.

??

Guest inoubliable

This is from your 2011 return??

The IRS isn't even looking at 2012 return until the 30th, so I can understand why they aren't taking calls right now. You may have to do a little googlin' to find a number to a real person over there to discuss returns from last year. Have you tried their online "Where's My Refund" inquiry? Not sure if it'll still work for 2011 returns, but it might be worth a shot.

It took us forever to get our refund last year because of our adoption credit. There were checking them closely.

My experience was that calling them was the easiest part of it all. Their internal systems are all screwy though. Apparently once you send in all your forms, the numbers get entered into the computer, then all your forms get sent to a "vault." So, if they want to question anything, you have to send in certain information again. It was a huge headache. But, every time I called they were very helpful. Everyone was so smart, articulate, and understanding. I was actually very impressed.

Good luck. It took us a good eight months to get our refund.

The IRS has an office (taxpayer ombudsman?) that you can contact.

You can also call your Congressmen. A Senator calls, and they scramble.

Furthermore, they have to pay you interest on what they owe you after a certain time period - 45 days maybe?

They really want to help but it is a huge organization and things can get lost.

Sandra

OK, I'll look myself tomorrow. He tried about three months ago, and the only phone number posted kept ending him up in a place that told him that it was being processed and that was all. There was no other recourse that he oculd find. Yes, this is for the refund we should have gotten in spring 2012 for the 2011 tax year.

This is from your 2011 return??

The IRS isn't even looking at 2012 return until the 30th, so I can understand why they aren't taking calls right now. You may have to do a little googlin' to find a number to a real person over there to discuss returns from last year. Have you tried their online "Where's My Refund" inquiry? Not sure if it'll still work for 2011 returns, but it might be worth a shot.

Yes, it just says that our refund is being processed. Not very helpful.