Menu

Teaching Poetry

mytwomonkeys

My 2nd and 4th graders started this school year with Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry by Jack Prelutsky. It was an instant hit. Each lesson starts with a silly story, which is followed by a poetry example and a writing tip. My DC used the writing tip to the best of their ability and illustrated it. This didn't teach the parts and pieces of poetry, but it did dramatically increase poetry appreciation in my 4th grade DS. This one may be too juvenile for an 11yo girl, but if she can still giggle at the thought of dad's underwear being pinned to the wall, give it a try.

After that we're heading off to Wishes, Lies, and Dreams, which is a book for you to read for yourself before beginning poetry time. It has a sequel that we'll likely get into next school year: Rose, Where Did You Get That Red?

My 2nd and 4th graders started this school year with Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry by Jack Prelutsky. It was an instant hit. Each lesson starts with a silly story, which is followed by a poetry example and a writing tip. My DC used the writing tip to the best of their ability and illustrated it. This didn't teach the parts and pieces of poetry, but it did dramatically increase poetry appreciation in my 4th grade DS. This one may be too juvenile for an 11yo girl, but if she can still giggle at the thought of dad's underwear being pinned to the wall, give it a try.

After that we're heading off to Wishes, Lies, and Dreams, which is a book for you to read for yourself before beginning poetry time. It has a sequel that we'll likely get into next school year: Rose, Where Did You Get That Red?

I like the look of all three of those books! Thanks! So far our poetry has been merely appreciation. Just reading/memorizing and discussing things like lines, grammar, stanzas, rhyme, biography of a few poets. My ds has written a few limericks and has taken a few lines of some Silverstein and then finished it in his own way. But I could use some more detailed instruction.

http://www.bravewriter.com/program/language-arts-programs/arrow-poetry-guide/

There's also this. I haven't used it. But could be helpful. Most of Bravewriter's materials are.

We use Ambeliside Online's poetry lists. I downloaded the PDF version of the entire collection, which focuses on one poet at a time. DD and I read through it together aloud daily. Usually she reads one poem, then I read one. She is learning how poetry is to be read aloud and getting quite good at recognizing rhyme scheme, etc. We only discuss a poem if she or I have thoughts on it, because at this point I want to keep it conversational, simple, and beautiful. She loves these times and is thoroughly enjoying reading poetry that I studied in college. Once a week, she copies her favorite poem into a hardbound blank book and sketches a picture to go with it. She titled this book "Aubrey's Poetry Copybook Volume 1" and plans on adding a new one every semester/year. I've wrestled with using a poetry "curriculum," but I really like it this way. I think the best way produce a poet is to expose your child to great poetry and develop a love for reading it.

We loved the book "A child's introduction to poetry". Shell Silverstein and Jack Prelutzky are great fun and culturally important... but for an academic context, I want my kids to read and appreciate deeper themes and multiple types of poetry -- sonnets, villanelle, etc.., Anyway, this book introduces Shakespeare and Frost and Dickinson and Tennyson in a very colorful and kid friendly way.