Menu

American History, Part 2 (from 1850 to present)

Sahamamama

What are your favorite resources/lists for American History, Part 2 (from 1850 to present)? We're not up to that starting point yet, as we read through our lovely books on American History, Part 1. However, I'm a planner. I like to get the lists lined up in advance, then let it all percolate. KWIM? So... what are your picks for this study? What topics do you try to cover? What do you tend to avoid? The girls will be in 3rd grade & 1st grade, all reading on higher levels and enjoying lots of read alouds.

I don't know what the "best" books would be.

However, this is what I am using which may work for your 3rd grader.

CHOW covers up to around 1950 or so.

The Rainbow Book of American History covers up to the end of WWII I believe.

I will also read through the modern American history sections in Everything You Need to Know About American History Homework.

We recently listened to The Lord of the Nutcracker Men on audio CD. That gives kids a good idea of what WWI was like.

The best resource I have used so far was actually just memory work. I had my kids memorize all of the major wars of the U.S. We are working on the dates and the causes of them now. Doing that gives a framework for understanding the time periods. Once you have the wars down, you can start learning the presidents during the wars and major things they did.

I am not sure what to recommend for your 1st grader concerning modern American history. I tend to focus on early American history for that age (Columbus, Native American tribes, Jamestown, Pilgrims, George Washington, etc.)

Have you checked out Guest Hollow?

Yes, I have. What a wonderful resource this is! Thanks for posting.

Check out the book list for SL core E.

I've typed up that list, too. These are great reads. Thanks for posting!

I don't know what the "best" books would be. However, this is what I am using which may work for your 3rd grader. CHOW covers up to around 1950 or so. The Rainbow Book of American History covers up to the end of WWII I believe. I will also read through the modern American history sections in Everything You Need to Know About American History Homework. We recently listened to The Lord of the Nutcracker Men on audio CD. That gives kids a good idea of what WWI was like. The best resource I have used so far was actually just memory work. I had my kids memorize all of the major wars of the U.S. We are working on the dates and the causes of them now. Doing that gives a framework for understanding the time periods. Once you have the wars down, you can start learning the presidents during the wars and major things they did. I am not sure what to recommend for your 1st grader concerning modern American history. I tend to focus on early American history for that age (Columbus, Native American tribes, Jamestown, Pilgrims, George Washington, etc.)

Thanks, Mrs. Twain, for these ideas! We are working on early American history this year (2nd & K).