Menu

Answering kids' questions on infinity

We have been talking about infinity lately, and my dd said she likes to look in mirrors when there are 2 back to back so she can try to count the reflections she sees... which is, of course, infinite.

But then, we started talking about other things that are infinite, and I got a bit muddled. :huh:

- Is the universe infinite? (according to current scientific thinking)

- are the number of grains of sand on the earth infinite? (I said no, that they are just very hard to count, but then I thought that if new grains of sand are being formed constantly, than maybe yes...)

- are there any infinite THINGS that we can talk about as examples, because right now, she thinks infinity is pretty awesome... :-)

No other books are coming to me about infinities, but what gets really mind-blowing with math is that there's the distinction between sets that are countably infinite and sets that are uncountably infinite. Cat in Numberland deals more with countable infinity.

The number of grains of sand on the earth is not infinity. It is an actual number, even if more grains of sand are being made. The number would get bigger but would not be infinity.

When our oldest son was four, he asked what infinity meant. I told him that numbers never end, that no matter how big a number is, you can add one to it and get a bigger number. Then he asked, "What would happen to me if I ate infinity green beans?"