Menu

Good Spanish curriculum for K-3?

Maela

I want to begin Spanish with my 5yo dd. She has been watching SALSA videos for a couple of months and knows her numbers to 20. She's a quick learner, and she can read very well and write well. I took a few years of Spanish in high school and college. I'm good with pronunciation and okay with understanding Spanish when I hear it, but I can't form correct sentences myself. I would love for our whole family to be fluent some day.

Can anyone recommend a good curriculum for us?

If we were learning Spanish, I would probably try Getting Started With Spanish. I haven't actually seen or tried it, but we loved Getting Started With Latin, and its approach was excellent for young ones. It definitely taught my DD to form sentences correctly. There's no writing, which was a plus for her. I think it would have been doable even if she hadn't been reading; it could definitely be done completely orally. I am assuming that the Spanish one would be similar.

If we were learning Spanish, I would probably try Getting Started With Spanish. I haven't actually seen or tried it, but we loved Getting Started With Latin, and its approach was excellent for young ones. It definitely taught my DD to form sentences correctly. There's no writing, which was a plus for her. I think it would have been doable even if she hadn't been reading; it could definitely be done completely orally. I am assuming that the Spanish one would be similar.

Thank you! I'll take a look at it.

This is what we're doing right now. After this, I think we're going to use School Song Spanish. DD is 5.5 years old. My goal right now is to take it slow so that the material is absorbed, not just a bunch of stuff for her to memorize and then forget. You can't really drop a language once you start or a lot of what's been learned will be lost. DD has so many years of Spanish ahead of her that I want it to be as much fun as possible right now.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Teach%20Them%20Spanish

This is what we're doing right now. After this, I think we're going to use School Song Spanish. DD is 5.5 years old. My goal right now is to take it slow so that the material is absorbed, not just a bunch of stuff for her to memorize and then forget. You can't really drop a language once you start or a lot of what's been learned will be lost. DD has so many years of Spanish ahead of her that I want it to be as much fun as possible right now.

http://bluehousescho...ch Them Spanish

Thanks! I will check these out also.