Menu

Getting off prednisone-how long til I lose this puffy face and other questions

HappyGrace

I was only on it for about 3 1/2 wks (did about 3 rounds of 60 mg tapering down to 10 mg) and I've been off it a wk and the "moon face" is still there (veerrrrry slowly getting better). Anything I can do to get rid of it quicker? Also I only gained about 2-3 pounds but my stomach is sooo puffed out-anything I can do about that? My face is all dried out and bumpy on my cheeks too. Help!

I've been drinking tons of water the last 4-5 days to try to speed up getting rid of these side effects, but it's not helping. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to wait it out? How long til it goes away?

Thanks!

I hope someone else chimes in with an answer for you. I can't remember how long my eldest took to not be very puffy, slighly green-tinged and greasy looking, but she had been on in that time for well over a year.

I do know it took a looong time for her brain to start working again and her to not lose it over everything.

So please stay calm at this response if that was another side effect for you :)

I hope it actually did what it should in your case.

:grouphug: it depends on the person. what works for me is lots (and lots) of exercise. i keep from losing it completely during prednisone by doing 4 mile (1 hr) walking videos (leslie sansone) every day at 4pm. that is after the regular exercise. so i just keep that up, and it seems to help everything normalize better. and all the standard things.... regular sleep, only natural foods, lots of outdoor time, prayer/meditation, limited media..... for me, after3.5 weeks, i'd be looking "normal" within a month, and close to normal within ~ 2 weeks. i've been on it for 7 months at a time 4 times, and those times the thing that helped was nursing my new babies. ;)

good luck!

ann

DD was on high doses for 6-8 months (it was a hectic time) and as we tapered down she got less and less moon face slowly. It seemed to be lots of healthy fruits/veggies and lots of water. Very few gluten containing products.

ETA: the diet helped us reduce the moon face quicker

I guess I'm just worried because it wasn't a *huge* dose or for too long, and I've been off it just over a week, and it seems it should be going quicker. From what I'm hearing here, it seems it goes down even on the taper and mine didn't do that.

I ran out and got some dandelion root tea tonight-I read it is a natural diuretic.