Menu

nm

Guest inoubliable

I like those clear vinyl over the door shoe holders for our pop up camper. We hang them from the little track where we have a little fabric border around the top of the camper. You can cut them down to different sizes since they are vinyl. I have one with maybe 2 rows of 4 pockets that I hang in one spot, and that's handy for stashing keys, contact solution and contact case, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses, and so forth, and it frees up counterspace. You could cut one down so that each bed area has a few pockets that can be hung, and then each family member could have their own little section. It helps keep things visible, out of the way, and somewhat organized.

If you thrift, it is nice to have your camper stashed with some items so you don't have to pack them every time. A few pots and pans, a strainer, a grill lighter, napkins, paper towels, we keep a little toddler potty for the kids to use (no bathroom in ours), baby wipes for quick cleanups of body and surfaces, etc. In years when we camp a lot, we also keep duplicates of toiletry and other items: sunscreen, toothbrushes, toothpaste, contact solution and case, bug spray, dish soap, sponges, a few knives, small cutting board, extra trashbags, a small dustpan and brush and/or a broom, etc. If you thrift, pick up an extra jacket and or sweatshirt for each family member and keep it in the camper. We usually stocked a board or card game, playdoh, some markers and paper, a few small cars, and sand stuff for the kids to play with, and that kept them plenty busy even if it rained during the evening. If you keep some basics stocked in your camper, it is much less to pack every time you go; just keep a list so you know what is out there so you don't end up packing duplicates anyway. If you go frequently, it can be helpful to make up a permanent checklist of items you pack, and I usually highlight a section of last minute items (pillows, for example). We had 2 yrs or so when we were going every few weekends and I had it down to a science, which made it much less stressful when it was time to pack.

Clothesline and clothespins are handy to have for your site too. Tablecloth (vinyl or other) for picnic tables at campsites. Plastic reusable dishes (or paper/disposable), disposable flatware, etc. Manual can opener.

I grew up camping (large van and tent, then later a travel trailer), and almost every campground we've ever camped at has toilet tissue in the bathroom stalls, thankfully. I do stash some t.p. in our camper for the kids to use with the toddler potty (which I've also used in a pinch, embarrassingly enough!).

Some have showers (I would say most!); you can usually tell from a website if they have one. Sometimes only some of the bathrooms have showers (so the one closest to you might not, but the next one down the road does). We usually just take a tote bag or a little shower caddy or whatever works for your family to the bathrooms. I often brush teeth, take care of contacts, etc. in the pop up vs. the public restroom. You'll find what works for you after a few tries.

Oh, and flip flops or crocs for everyone for the public showers, of course. If you can find them inexpensively enough, just buy a pair for everyone to leave in the camper so they are always ready.

Extra sheets can be great to have if you have some around your house you don't need regularly. If not, you can always pack them at the last minute using the ones you keep in your regular linen closet. Once we set everything up, I put sheets on the beds right away so they are ready well before dark. Easier to do sooner rather than later most of the time.

Oooh, I wish I had a website to recommend! I don't, but just had to jump in here and say I grew up camping in a pop up and it was fantastic! Always a blast, though I do look back and realize how much work it was for my Mom! Whew, she's a trooper. You are going to have so. much. fun!

As an adult, I ended up doing more primitive camping, backpacking... You would never believe how many members of my family are thru-hikers and have completed the App Trail. Wow. And my degree involved field work in the middle of nowhere... So that camping background really paid off. You never know, you might be contributing to the kiddos' future in that way! (Seriously, the others on my team always loved that I could start a fire in the rain, if necessary!)

Have fun!!!!

The suggestions so far are great. A few others to add:

• Use a string of icicle lights (the ones you use at Christmas) to hang off the awning for nice light in the evening
  • We have a few collapsable bins that we transport items in, but when we get there one is the shoe bin and all shoes go into it. Without doing this, we have shoes all over the place. We did use a hanging shelf closet organizer, but it was too high up for the kids to reach.
  • I made some shower bags to transport our clothes and towels back and forth. We also have bins with toiletries.
  • I made a first aid kit using a craft organizer. Make sure to stock it well and check for expiration dates.
  • Find a cutting board about the size of the sink and lay it over your sink for additional counter space.
  • We have a three-tier shelf that we can easily put together after the pop-up is up that really helps with storage. For a short trip we might not set it up, but for a longer one it's wonderful to have that extra space.

Over the years we've added some items and taken out others that we haven't used. You'll find what works best for your family over time.