Menu

Membership with non-local libraries for eBooks, anyone does this?

Hi everyone,

Hopefully the title makes sense. I'm curious if anyone is a member at a library which:

1. Isn't your local library (so you may have to pay a membership fee)

2. Has a good-sized eBook collection

If you have done this, could you share any details? E.g. whether it was easy to get a card, how much the annual fee is, what eBooks you usually check out from their collection.

I have membership in 3 library systems. In many states, you can get a card at any library in the state for free. I have TONS of e-books to choose from.

We can only take out 10 downloadable items at a time, and e-book readers often "return" the book before it is due, so they can download a new one. The turnover rate for e-books is FAST.

Brooklyn Public Library. It's $50 for non-state residents. It has a huge library of ebooks. One of the largest. Fairfax VA has another large one as well. Both of them took about a week for me to sign up. The Free Library of Pennsylvania has a huge collection as well, but you have to mail in your application. I'm told the Seattle library is huge as well, but you have to apply in person. But the Brooklyn Library is big enough that I'm happy with it.

Thanks for all the replies!

WendyK : Good point about the availability of eBooks. My own library also has 1-2 'copies' of eBooks at any time, although the checkout time is 14 days fixed. I will remember to look at the number of eBooks, and checkout time when evaluating other libraries.

Hunter: Thanks for the info. I don't think my state has that privilege, since the county adjacent to ours charges $80/year for non-district residents. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that a bigger library system (San Francisco) does give free cards to in-state residents. So I will be sure to check all systems within the state.

TexasRachael: Great links and info, thanks!

Write a letter to whoever coordinates libraries in your state, and tell them to look into Iowa's WILBUR system. This is a systemic problem and needs a systemic solution.

WILBUR is a database of audio downloads and ebooks.

(As I understand it):

With the rise of e-products, all of the libraries in Iowa joined together and created WILBUR. All Iowa libraries may participate in WILBUR. We all share the e-content.

So, if I want to download, The Hobbit, I have access to however many downloadable copies the combined libraries have purchased.

Likewise, if a book is specifically popular (50 Shades of Grey was the example), our town library may purchase extra copies of the ebook that is reserved for our members before other libraries have access, so the wait will not be as long.

This is an example of government working well. I don't know who in the statehouse voted to fund such a crazy idea, but the system is great!