Menu

Pregnancy safe sleep aid?

theYoungerMrsWarde

Background: I just became pregnant (5.5 weeks.) I am currently getting off Seroquel, Lamictal, and Ambien (my last scaled-down dose it tonight.) I started taking 5-HTP (heard about it on here) and Melatonin to replace them and to help get off the Ambien without a return of the insomnia. But I just found out that both 5-HTP and Melatonin should not be taken during pregnancy. I've been taking Melatonin for a week now, and the 5-HTP for 3 weeks or so.

Oh, and I have anxiety issues, including anxiety about not sleeping or falling asleep fast enough, which feeds back on itself. Yeah, I'm a mess. :(

I don't have an ob/gyn to ask because I need a new one and we just found out that we will be moving in 2 months, which is about the earliest the new ob I wanted to start seeing here would see me. :banghead:

Please Hive, what can I do? Is there anything safe to take? You all are my go to source for natural remedies. I'm getting anointed on Sunday, but I admit my faith is flagging a bit.

Benadryl is considered safe. Congrats!

I am so relieved, I think I'm going to be sick. (Okay, probably sounds like an over-reaction, but I've been crying over here all morning since I found out about the 5-HTP and Melatonin. I hate thinking that I've been hurting my baby these past weeks, and I thought I was looking at 8 months of no sleep.)

I am so relieved, I think I'm going to be sick. (Okay, probably sounds like an over-reaction, but I've been crying over here all morning since I found out about the 5-HTP and Melatonin. I hate thinking that I've been hurting my baby these past weeks, and I thought I was looking at 8 months of no sleep.)

Glad to help :) It's category B for pregnancy.

Unisom sleep gels and sleep melts are diphenhydramine (same as benadryl) and Tylenol PM is diphenhydramine and acetaminophen.

I see the Unisom sleep tabs are doxylamine. Looks like it's also an antihistamine that is most often used as a sleep aid. This is the one that is usually recommended for morning sickness (in combination with vitamin B6).