Menu

toy storage?

hollyh

I am overwhelmed with the after-Christmas... my house looks like Toys R Us threw up all over it and I am contemplating new storage ideas...

So, what do you all do for toy storage. I am contemplating the Ikea Trofast or Expedit systems, but am not sure if those are what I want. What do you use? Pics are always wonderful too. :)

Ha, I saw the title and was going to look up the names of the IKEA shelving we use, then realized that you wrote them :)

I love the Trofast for Legos. I have 3 boys and a husband whose mom handed him all his old Legos. We need a lot of Lego space. We got one of the tall skinny ones and two IKEA desks for the kids to work at downstairs (building, not school time) and then put shelves above the desks to put finished creations. We have a wider closet-like IKEA shelf on the other side of the desks where all the art supplies and crafty things go.

Then for other toys and books, we have Expedits all over the place. Basically, IKEA threw up all over my basement.

No Ikea here :crying: , but we have regular bookshelves with storage bins for Legos. I've found that shallower bins (2 - 3 inch) work better because its easier to sift through and find the pieces required. Ours are not stored by colour or shape.

For Playmobil figures and accessories we have a few fishing tackle boxes (found on a sale) with trays that fold open. These work extremely well. They are also stored on a shelf.

We turned to IKEA as well. We use a couple different things. One is this. You can also get lids, making them stackable. They're easy for the kids to handle, easy to have stuff dumped in them, and completely portable. They can see what's in them without having to yank them out or rip the lid off, too. We have them in various colors--one each for cars, blocks, Playmobil, Duplos, trains, dolls, and, up until this weekend, Legos. But now we are using these for the Legos. We had one already, and tried it out with some Legos and decided to get more based on how well it was working. They come with additional dividers, so if you want to make smaller spaces and sort them by shape you can. Without the added dividers, it has three sections that each hold the medium-sized Lego sets--so you can get 3 sets in one of those boxes! We have ones divided by set and ones with miscellaneous Legos sorted by shape/type.

Hope that helps! It's an ongoing battle, isn't it??