Menu

Freezing bread dough

GraciebytheBay

I am back to baking bread for the winter. I usually make five loaves at a time and freeze what we won't be using that day. Dh thinks the bread sometimes loses flavor or makes the crust tougher. Do any of you freeze the dough? I am thinking of freezing individual dough "lumps" and letting it rise in the refrigerator overnight to bake in the morning. Not sure if it will thaw/rise much overnight, though. How do you do it? Do I need to tweak the dough recipe?

I have never found that freezing bread is a negative, ut it could just be my recipe .

I am careful when I freeze it and what I freeze it in.

My friend told me one time that bread should be allowed to sit at room temp over night before freezing. No clue why, but that is what I do. Maybe it's to be sure it is truly cooled. I often let it sit on the counter for several hours before I bag it up. I don't close the bag tight until I am putting it in the freezer the next day. I don't slice it until I thaw it.