Menu

Kindle usage question

boscopup

We got our son a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. I'm trying to put a few books on it, but I'm having an issue. I downloaded the Amazon Cloud Drive thingy for my computer, uploaded a couple mobi books, and went over to the Paperwhite to sync. It's not seeing the books. If I go into my Amazon account on my computer, the books are there. It initially puts them in a "Uploads" folder, and I tried moving them to "Documents" with no luck. Still don't see them when I tell it to sync with the cloud. I'm only seeing books my DH has purchased on his Kindle Fire. These books I'm adding are side-loaded, not purchased from Amazon.

So is there some way to get them to show up from this Cloud Drive thingy? Or do I have to connect the Kindle to my computer. I like the idea of the Cloud Drive because I could put stuff on there without having to physically have the device in hand.

My ebook usage experience is only with Android tablets, so this non-Android Kindle thing is new to me.

I haven't played with the cloud. I've used the cable when I move files to my kindle. If I have bought a book or borrowed it from amazon, I select which account to send it to (iPad, kindle, etc). I don't know if that may be an issue with the cloud...

I use the 'send to kindle' application to right click on documents and books on my computer that I want to send to one of our kindles. I downloaded the 'send to kindle' thingie from the Amazon website specifically to make it easier to send sideloaded books from the google ebookstore to one of my kindles. I have a ton of sideloaded stuff in the cloud, and four kindles and it has been really easy to move content around from kindle to kindle. Unless I run the MOBI file through Calibre, however, it tends to send sideloaded MOBI files into the documents section on my Fires instead of recognizing them as kindle books, and I'm not sure how that would translate on a paperwhite. I'm not sure why you are having a problem but I probably just don't understand exactly what you mean about how it isn't working. I've found the kindle customer support to be helpful if you end up having to resort to them.

Ok, I hooked it up to my PC with the USB cable, and I got the mobi files on there no problem. Strange. The whole purpose of the "cloud" is to let you drag and drop files to share with your devices, right? But they just don't show up on the device. Strange. Oh well.

Thanks everyone!

(and I'll see how to use Overdrive with it... haven't gotten that far yet!)