Menu

Alfred music theory users-what do I need to buy?

TejasMamacita provided for Alfred's Music Theory. Perhaps this could help you in your purchase. I'm not sure what level you're looking at; I think the level that you're considering would determine whether or not you would be able to count it as a high school level music theory course.

Our piano teacher uses the Bastien series for teaching music theory (piano), technique, and introductory piano. My oldest two are in the Intermediate II book; by the time the student gets to the Intermediate series, they're doing fairly advanced theory. I'm not sure if you're looking for piano music theory or for another instrument, but I'm convinced that my oldest two girls know more hands-on music theory than I ever did.

Well, there are three parts (book 1, 2 & 3 :)) and I would suggest starting with book one, even if you've previously had theory, just go faster until you get to where it becomes challenging for you.

What I recommend for a high school student who you will want to work independently or with minimal parental guidance is the Complete Self Study Course. It is all three books combined into one with the two ear training cd's. It is written directly to the student and at the end of each unit has reviews/tests where the student listens to what they've learned on the cd's and answers questions regarding it. It is very thorough. They also have where you can buy each book individually or you can buy student books and teacher's books separately, but it is all essentially the same exact course and you get more bang for your buck just buying it all in one - much cheaper in my opinion and less of a chance for things to get missed.

I like linear teaching . . . one thing after another, all in a row, :lol:. It's less confusing for me. It's also available a little cheaper at Rainbow Resource, but I gave you the Amazon link so you could take a peek inside.

If you like software, you can get the exact same set-up (educator's versions, student versions, books one at a time, or all three combined into one) on a cd-rom. That's also available at Rainbow Resource. Some people like interactive lessons with immediate feedback. You can also get a demo cd for free. It has the first few complete units on it, so you can try it out. I have the software as well as the book (I know, overkill - there's no need to do this - I got it very cheap at a local thrift store). The educator's version is very expensive in my opinion, and you can do just as well with the student edition.

I actually found the software to be much more challenging than the books, although you would think it would be the other way around, with music and all. The reason is you can freely look back and forth in the book when you need help with an answer, but on the cd-rom you only have the knowledge in your head at the time you are answering the question. It starts off easy, but you can quickly see whether you are actually learning or just memorizing enough to get by in a few lessons. The software and book follow the exact same pattern and lessons, so we ended up using a combination of the two for my forgetful son, LOL.

We worked on it doing 3 or 4 lessons a week and easily finished all three books/sections in one school year. I showed it to my sister, who was a music teacher in her former life, and she did think it was challenging enough to consider as a high school music theory credit, so we did. :001_smile:

Anyway, I hope I have been of some help to you.