Menu

Apologia Physical Science- tests?

Those of you that used Apologia Physical science for 8th grade. Did you do the tests with each module? or did you just read and do teh experiements? I have to decide what I want to do tonight, if we are going to do the tests they will start the study guide tomorrow, and take the module 1 test Thursday. If I do not we can go right into the reading for module 2 tomorrow and be done about 1/2 of it before we break for xmas. Both ways have merits but I can not decide which way I want to go with this. 8th grade marks don't really matter out here. High school does not start until grade 10. So I could put off the test taking portion until the Biology book in grade 9. I do have them take notes from the module as they read, and of course record their lab results.

So how did you use the physical science in grade 8? tests or no tests?

We do the tests because I find it helps my dd to take the material more seriously :) She does all the experiments through a coop and her grade is based on labs and tests. I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I don't think the tests are necessary, but it is a good tool also to get them ready for what high school level work will be like.

HTH

Paula

We do the tests because I find it helps my dd to take the material more seriously :) She does all the experiments through a coop and her grade is based on labs and tests. I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I don't think the tests are necessary, but it is a good tool also to get them ready for what high school level work will be like.

HTH

Paula

See and that is the biggest problem. I still don't know what I am trying to accomplish at this stage. I know when we do the Biology level we are doing the tests etc. Hmm. Maybe I will do open book tests. The kids can get used to the format but not with the added pressure of actual tests, that way when they start the bio book next year they are used to the tests and at that point will not feel the stress of taking them. I want them used to taking tests, and how to study for them etc(oldest has massive test anxiety, but has done really well in recent years with little math and spelling quizzes, so this could be another stepping stone on that path). I do not have to show grades or anything at this stage so that part doesn't matter as much as simply learning the material but I don't want them to just pretend to know it. Hmmm have to think about this. Science is in about 45 minutes, nothing like taking to the last minute to figure out my plan lol