Menu

History

jillian

So we were using CHOW this year for dd. It's kind of dry and boring. She's a fairly accelerated soon to be 5 year old (on Thursday she'll be 5). We were doing a 1st/2nd grade combo year. Due to illnesses on all of our parts and me trying to work out my work schedule (changes every week) we have fallen pretty behind but I think it's because we don't love doing CHOW. I would prefer something secular or teaches the bible in a very fact based orientation as an influence on cultures if at all possible. Something fun too. Any advice? I know SOTW is the kind of go to resource for the young age group. We will probably start over next year with Ancients.

For that age, I'd focus more on stories from around the world, geography, that sort of thing maybe? I don't think any of my kids would have enjoyed CHOW or SOTW at age 4 or 5, and my oldest LOVES history (he started SOTW at age 6.5 and proceeded to read through the whole series himself several times - loves, loves, loves it).

Or just get some library books. There are plenty of history-related 3rd-4th grade level readers that are enjoyable for that age.

My current 6 year old ("K" this year) is doing Sonlight P4/5, which is basically stories from around the world. He is really enjoying it. He would not at all be interested in CHOW or SOTW yet. Well... maybe SOTW would work ok in another 6 months or so. I can see he's getting close to being ready for it. I'll probably use it with him in 2nd grade (age 7/8), when my oldest comes back around for ancients in 5th grade.

Thanks. She seemed really excited initially but seems to appreciate our take on geography learning about different parts of the world via story books. Do you have any rec's for this age group for ancients?

My philosophy is that it doesn't really matter what you use at this age as long as it is engaging. There is simply no such thing for a 5 year old, no matter how gifted or advanced, to be behind in history!! Rather than thinking in terms of a program or curricula, think about what would be fun. You don't want to turn her off to learning when there are still many years ahead of you both.

Have you read aloud Greek and Norse mythology? D'Aulaire's collections are fabulous and popular with homeschoolers. My boys also loved listening to the Jim Weiss mythology stories. You can find his titles here at http://www.greathall.com/. My boys also enjoyed some of the Usborne titles such as the Time Travelers title. As for specific story books, I just picked up whatever I found in the library or my local Barnes & Noble. I also found several wonderful craft books and kits that my boys enjoyed. The ALA has lists, there are lists on Amazon -- just poke around and try any ol' title that sounds interesting.

My kids had fun with those monthly series from Highlights, Which Way USA and Top Secret -- monthly kits that featured maps, books and games featuring either a US State per month (the USA one) and a country per month (Top Secret). They both remember them fondly, with my college freshman just now telling me that he and a friend were recently raving about how fabulous they were!!