Menu

Dr. Hive: post nasal drip

Trilliums

Anyone have suggestions for dealing with post nasal drip? My teenage son has had a lot of problems this fall and winter. He has not had post nasal drip before. He has not been sick and doesn't seem to have a sinus infection.

He is using a humidifier in his room, a decongestant, a mucus thinner, saline nose spray (only once a day though) and is now trying daily anti-histamines. Nothing seems to be lessening the symptoms though. Any advice?

My son's doctor (and we later sent him to an allergist, who concurred) put him on a nasal steroid to clear up the postnasal drip. His big symptom was frequent small coughs to clear his throat; the nasal steroid last winter cleared it up, so no more coughing. I noticed the other day that he sounded a bit stuffy and was speaking loudly, so even though he doesn't have a cold, I started the steroid up again for this winter.

Thanks for the input. I will probably be taking him to the doctor if the allergy med doesn't help. He doesn't have any sings of allergies other than this post nasal drip. He is frequently clearing his throat and sometimes making a horrible snorting noise as he tries to clear the mucus.