Menu

n/m

hsmom2011

We used the the one with the Arctic fox (1st grade) last year. Harcourt makes a few different sets so this might be different than what you would get, but generally the same. I don't have the text book anymore but I still have the Reading Support and Homework book. I just pulled it out to look at it and my son said "oh, I don't like that book!". Enough said, right?

The text and workbook are exactly what you would expect from school books. I know that is really vague, but I just don't know how else to say it. It's broken up into 12 or so chapters covering life science, earth science, and physical science. Every year repeats those areas more in depth. Our textbook had review questions and small experiments in them for us to do. We added a lot more experiments though. I would call the workbook busywork, because it pretty much was just a repeat of what was already in the textbook. We only did the first 3 chapters in the workbook and then I just started having him answer the questions from the textbook orally or in a comp book (if he had to draw pictures or something).

I am not familiar with Kolbe, but if you do decide to go with the textbook I would skip the workbook and use a comp book or make your own notebook. We added a lot of experiments and Brain Pop.

• 3 weeks later...