Menu

What does a UTI look like in a young boy?

Mommie_Jen

(uncirc'd, if it matters)

DS did have 1 UTI a few years ago, I think he was 2 and pretty newly potty trained. I was clued in because he suddenly started wetting himself again. They did some sort of kidney ultrasound (I think?) to rule out reflux and it was fine. Normal UTI cleared up by abx.

Now he's almost 6. He is a very sensitive/dramatic kid where any minor uncomfortableness is super sensitive for him (SPD). He's been complaining (ok, whining and crying) that it still feels like he has to pee after he goes. It's very uncomfortable for him and makes me a bit crazy. 9/10 times it happens when he's very tired, saying he has to pee but nothing comes out, jumping around, yelling and screaming.

This went on for 2 hours last night. I finally talked him into letting me look at his parts, and he has a yeast infection (diag'd by me and my pharmacist friend, also mom of uncirc'd boy). We started treating it last night and I went over cleaning again today and have been helping him every time he pees to clean well and apply new lotromine.

The kid has no fever, no frequent urination, no burning when he pees. This yelling and screaming is brought on by his SPD (sensory avoidant) and tiredness and the yeast infection, I'm pretty sure. I'm giving it a few days to start to get better. If we had ins. right now, I'd take him in for an exam and UA, but DH's ins. with his new job hasn't kicked in yet. Since this doesn't seem to be an emergency, I'm hesitant to take him in.

Basically, my thoughts are if this is only happening with a tired kid whose sensory overload drastically increases when it's sleep time - it's sensory caused by the uncomfortableness of the yeast infection, right? Thoughts?

Sometimes if I'm dehydrated I feel like I have symptoms of a UTI. Once I hydrate that goes away so I'd try to make sure he is hydrated. Also the yeast overgrowth could cause the same sensations as a UTI. I'd wonder if he was dehydrated to avoid having to pee while he has a yeast infection.