Menu

Rightstart math

talk2ham.1

RS is Asian math and montesorri mixed together. It is very hands on. It also has games for learning math facts.

Singapore is workbook based. Of course you can add your own games and hands on activities.

I chose RS because it is scripted and holds my hand. I had to learn how to do math differently than how I was taught and I didn't feel confident enough with Singapore.

You can't go wrong with either depending on which your dc meshes with better.

From what I have read on here, Right Start and Singapore focus a lot more on mental math than other programs do. They also (it seems) to have a stonger base and understanding of place values to facilitate mental math. We are doing RIght Start and I have learned a lot and mental math is now easier for me. My son also loves it.

RS is Asian math and montesorri mixed together. It is very hands on. It also has games for learning math facts.

Singapore is workbook based. Of course you can add your own games and hands on activities.

I chose RS because it is scripted and holds my hand. I had to learn how to do math differently than how I was taught and I didn't feel confident enough with Singapore.

You can't go wrong with either depending on which your dc meshes with better.

Yes, those are the reasons I chose RS as well. They are both very good programs ( I have a good friend who uses Singapore so I've looked over the books) but I am not mathy at all so I knew hand- holding and a script would be needed for me. My friend who uses Singapore is very very mathy so she's just fine with a framework and something that lays out what to do, but isn't as hand-holding. She doesn't need it! I do, however, so it's RS for me.

RS is head and shoulders above ANY other math program for K-1st. After that, it is still very solid but runs neck-and-neck with Singapore--RS has a bit better concrete visualization of concepts, while Singapore has better word problems and problem-attack skills. Together, they're pretty awesome.

I like Math Mammoth, too, and my 4yo is using MM1 now.