Menu

what's the difference in Home instructor guide rather the Teacher's Guide

pjssully

The Teacher's Guide was written with a classroom in mind. The Home Instructor's Guide was written with a homeschooler in mind. In my opinion, the main way this is obvious is in the game suggestions (which are more of an issue in the early years like 1 and 2, where they suggest more games than in the higher grades). The games in the Teacher's Guide often need more students than most homeschoolers have. I think the Home Instructor games can be played with one or two students. When I began using Singapore 5 years ago, I am not sure there was a Home Instructor's Guide. In any case, I began with the Teacher's Guide, and I have stuck with it since I am used to it and it works well for me. The only problem I had was the games in the early years, and it was not too hard for me to work around that.

I really like the way the Teacher's Guides go through the concepts that you should be imparting in each unit and each lesson. I imagine the Home Instructor's Guides do that too, but I have never looked at one in detail to know.

The Teacher's Guide is set up so that at the beginning of a chapter it gives a summary of all the lessons for the unit, and how they relate to the pages in the text and workbook. It then has a written explanation of what you need to impart in the unit, and gives background on what you should have covered in previous years to lead up to this. It tells you what materials you will need, etc. Then, each lesson is outlined with steps for teaching it, when you discuss what pages in the text, etc, extra examples, and it tells you what to assign from the regular workbook for that lesson. (It does not tell you what to assign from Challenging Word or Intensive Practice, but those are pretty easy to figure out for yourself.) It sometimes has drills that you can photocopy, or figures (for geometry, for example) that you can copy and use during a lesson.

Best wishes,

Lydia

I am looking a singapore and wondering what the difference is between the home instructor guide and the teachers manual. any help

thanks

pam

What level are you wanting it for? The TM's for PM-1 are quite different from the TM's for PM-2 through PM-6.

I posted a brief comparison here.

And here's a detailed description of the TM's.