Menu

Could you explain the whole Wii thing to me?

Jean in Newcastle

If we don't have it at all, what do we need? I don't really want games as such but the ones that promote fitness sound good. What'ls the different between Wii fit and the other Wii things? And what about the Kinect (is that how you spell it?) Is that fitness too? And how much do these things cost? If we got one system (is it a system?) would that be a good "whole family" gift?

I love the Wii Fit Plus. I don't remember if the balance board came with the game or maybe the game with the board. But when I run the treadmill I have my Mii running on the Wii Fit screen. With a little tunnel vision it is almost like running around the island in which Wii Fit is set.

There are other fitness games available. I have a few and we like them. But we don't have enough room in our house to do them properly.

Guest inoubliable

We have one. No one but the five year old bothers with it. We have fitness games and still no one wants to mess with it. Older kids catch on pretty quickly that they can sit on the couch and flick and flip their wrists around and win the game - all without getting up and moving any other muscle. I think it's really geared to small children. With Nintendo coming out with their newest thing, you can probably pick up a used Wii at a nice price. No experience with the Knect, but I know a few people who have it and it seems to have more games that work for older children/adults. As someone once told me, "No real gamer would bother with the Wii."

If you get it, make sure you pick up an extra controller. They only come with one controller.

The wii is great. The games are fun and easy to pick up go. No dragging about for 40 hours like the more complex games on the PS3 or the XBox. I'm a "real gamer" and I think it's a blast. You buy a system and any extra controllers you need. I wouldn't bother with fitness games, they get boring after awhile and if you buy the balance board for them, it'll end up sitting around collecting dust. IMO the best games are multi-player like Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Mario Party.

The Kinect for Wii isn't out yet is it? I thought it was just for Xbox currently.

If you want more movie style immersive games go for the PS3 or Xbox but the games tend to be for older kids, with swearing, violence etc.

Our Wii gets used every day (except Sunday when we observe the Sabbath and I declare a much-needed moratorium on video game noise :D). The Wii fit gets used on and off, more during the rainy winter months. My son just spent a while on it this afternoon. We have some other games besides Fit and Fit Plus that use the balance board. Some of the Olympic games use them too. My 7 yo will pull it out and do yoga. Even DH will get on and play. The kids think it's awesome fun to get on after him and try to beat all his high scores on everything!

The best system is one you've already got: The Y.

You, my dear, are brilliant. I spent some time talking to one of her teachers at the Y and he agreed with you that at her level of jock-ness that she would soon be bored with the Wii. I'm thinking of giving her swim lessons at her level instead. She will be thrilled.:)

Guest inoubliable

You, my dear, are brilliant. I spent some time talking to one of her teachers at the Y and he agreed with you that at her level of jock-ness that she would soon be bored with the Wii. I'm thinking of giving her swim lessons at her level instead. She will be thrilled. :)

Swim lessons? That's awesome! I wish we had a Y here. I'm jealous!

We recieved one as a gift from the grandparents; it is not something I would have bought. It really does not hold my kids' attention well at all. They will play a little and then not touch it for a month or more or until a friend comes over.

We have Wii Fit and a couple sports games and they are ok, but again, they hardly play it. My daughter likes the dance games and some of those work up a sweat. They do like the Rabbids games too, some of those are pretty active and use the balance board.

ITA re the second wii mote. We had to get a couple of the nunchucs too in order to play the games that came with it.