Menu

If you use Apologia Chemistry...

Did you use DIVE videos/lab with it or Rusty Hughes DVD? I'm considering Apologia Chemistry next year for ds and I'm not sure which makes more since. It looks like the DIVE may be more difficulty because they are suggesting that the AP test could be taken after completing the course.

If you have used either, what has been your experience?

We've used DIVE here with good success. We prefer BJU textbooks and used them for Phys. Sci and Bio. with our oldest, but allowed her to use the Apologia Chem. book b/c a local group was going to do labs together and all the other students were using Apologia. It was an okay text. Part of it depends on the style your child prefers. My kids either love or hate the narrative style of Apologia. BJU is a bit meatier, but is definitely dryer. If you follow the DIVE syllabus you'll need both the reg. and advanced chem. books from Apologia. We made dd do the extra work per DIVE's suggestion using both texts so in the end I feel we matched the rigor of BJU. She's about to tackle it at the college level via dual enrollment, so we'll soon have a better idea of how well prepared she was.

Our second dd used DIVE Bio and the BJU text as well. My dh is teaching her and a group of others from Hewitt's Conceptual Physics this year. Most of the students have requested a chem. class next year and I doubt my husband will use Apologia. For Chem. and Physics we are more comfortable with secular offerings and its easier for my hubs to teach from textbooks he's familiar with in his public school classroom. He then adds Christian perspective as needed.

I agree with the AP, I didn't care for the Apologia tests either. I love the fact that DIVE has quarterly exams and that they contain a combination of the material found in the textbooks and the material in the video lectures. It's great preparation for college level work in our experience.