Menu

Singapore Math IP 3A Topic 4 #2d???

This problem has 3 sets of 4 numbers in boxes. You are to find the pattern and fill in the missing numbers.

I will do my best to set it up so you can read it. If you have Singapore Math, IP 3A it is on page 45 (2 d).

5 1 3 2 3 7

20 4 24 16 18 ?

For the answer, see below. Even with the answer, I cannot figure it out! DS has tried and tried, he wants to know why....

Editted because the numbers did not line up. I have changed the colors to try and help. Each set of four should line up like in a square. I made the sets different colors.

Answer: 42

This problem has 3 sets of 4 numbers in boxes. You are to find the pattern and fill in the missing numbers.

I will do my best to set it up so you can read it. If you have Singapore Math, IP 3A it is on page 45 (2 d).

5 1 3 2 3 7

20 4 24 16 18 ?

For the answer, see below. Even with the answer, I cannot figure it out! DS has tried and tried, he wants to know why....

Editted because the numbers did not line up. I have changed the colors to try and help. Each set of four should line up like in a square. I made the sets different colors.

Answer: 42

Within in each group (color) the bottom number is the product of the top number and some unknown mystery number. So for the first set, the bottom numbers equal the top number times 4. For the second set, the bottom number equals the top number times 8. For the 3rd set, the bottom numbers equal the top numbers times 6.

Ok, I got it.

Box one 5 goes into 20 four times, 4 times 1 is 4. Box two 3 goes into 24 eight times, 8 times 2 is 16. Box three 3 goes into 18 six times, 6 times 7 is 42.

Aha!! We were not looking for a 5th number. Everything else had been relationships between only the numbers listed...no mystery number to find!