Menu

Apologia Science Input

anoncalhan

I am currently using Apologia Astronomy with my two boys ages 7 and 8. As I am doing it I am thinking that they would have benefited from doing a lapbook for each of the chapters instead of having purchased the jr. notebook. What are your thoughts on this have any of you ditched the notebook and went with lapbooking for it and if you have how did it work out for you ? We plan on doing botany next would it be better to have the notebook for that or could I use the lapbook from currclick? I hate buying things and feeling like they aren't benefiting from it. Thank you

I have completed all but one of the Apologia books with my kids. I have used lap books for some, the journals for others, and a combination of the two for the rest. :)

My experience has been that the younger kids (7-9 range) like the lap books more than the journals and my older ones enjoy putting together a nice journal and drawing their own illustrations. Of course, personality probably paid a large part in this as well.

I don't care for the junior journals too much as there are a lot of colouring pages and "busy work" which my younger child didn't care too much for.

My personal experience, currently doing the astronomy book for the second time, is that this one is more fun being covered as a lapbook. I have only done the botany book once but with all the labs in that one, I much preferred the journal. For that one my older child got the purchased journal while my younger one used the free journal pages available online. I did add in a few pages here and there that I designed myself and bound the book together using my binding machine so it turned out "nice".

By far my favorite lapbooks were the ones by liveandlearnpress but I have also used the other ones (I can't remember the publisher I bought the cd from but they are the ones Rainbow Resources sells). I am not familiar with the lapbooks that are sold by CurrClick so I can't comment on those.

Let me know if I can be more helpful or if you have specific questions I can answer