Menu

Barry Stebbing Art Materials... or something else? Frustrated!

Tardis Girl

My mind in swirling with "new" options for art and would love to hear other people's experiences/thoughts!

My almost 7yo and 8.5yo daughters are attending a 3-day workshop with Barry Stebbing ("How Great Thou Art" publications) this week. And now I am considering buying art curriculum. <sigh> Just as background, I do want my kids to learn to draw, keep consistent nature notebooks, paint/color theory, all that stuff. Art is one of those things that I can put off and put off though. I had the Evan-Moor How to Teach Art to Children and a very cool Usborne art book (with a focus more on mixed media art experiences than cookie cutter projects)...but they have been AWOL since we moved 4 months ago.

Oh and we do have a subscription to Mark Kistler's online art lessons (not the new live ones, but the mini-marshmallow art lessons and all that). And I have Discovering Great Artists which I never pull out. And while I am a firm believer in art appreciation... haven't been doing that either. (Wow, what a loser I am! lol) But I am convicted on that point and ready to jump into that again -- just observing/study 6-8 pieces from one artist, changing every few months. Maybe some biographical material on them. nothing fancy.

I find myself looking at these Barry Stebbing programs:

I Can Do All Things ($35-$100 depending on options...DVDs needed?? ages 5-10; 3yr program; like that includes painting, drawing, markers, so I think my kids would like that; wonder if it's too little kiddish or busy work)

Beginning Drawing DVD ($20 -- like the price! lol not sure how effective it would be)

Intermediate Drawing DVD ($20 or $35 for the two together)

Nature Journal DVD ($20 - probably not the book because they can stand apart and I already have Claire's How to Keep a Nature Journal book; like this one because I want them to do more with their nature notebooks and like what they do so maybe this will focus skills in a practical application?)

Feed My Sheep (DVDs needed?? ages 10+; 4yr program...maybe shouldn't even consider given ages)

God and the History of Art ($40-$90 depending on options...DVDs needed?? -- ages 8-adult, but I've also seen 10-adult; 4yr program)

and I do own (somewhere) one of the Lamb's Book of Art volumes (ages 8+) from when my college-aged kids were young teens, although then it did not include any paint cards. But that does have some paint elements so maybe I should look into it? It's not considered a "complete" curriculum like I Can Do All Things or Feed My Sheep (or maybe God & History of Art?). I also own Mona Brooks Drawing with Children (never use that either, although I did a bit with my olders).

Then I hear such rave reviews about Artistic Pursuits and such, but it always seem so overpriced to me. But then why am I considering Stebbing's materials?? Some of those bigger, multi-year programs can get pricey too. While I am a Christian, I don't feel a need for getting "Christian" materials -- sometimes I like it, but sometimes I think authors overdo it, if that makes sense.

Money is a consideration, but I just want quality materials, quality instruction, above all.

I feel guilty for not doing art. My kids love to paint. I wouldn't consider them "talented" in the art area (just normal kids), although the 8.5yo does come up with some unexpectedly cute cartoony figures at times. Oh and I have a 4yob who always wants to get his hands into anything. Anybody care to throw out some thoughts?

And yes, I do find myself wondering why I am considering buying more "stuff" when we don't use what we have. The consistent theme of inconsistency is not lost on me. <sigh>

I know all the art courses look really lovely and we own several of the ones you listed but have never gone beyond the first few lessons in any of them.

They both loved Draw Write Now, the Drawing Textbook, and the Yellow book of Cartooning. Beyond that Ds has no real interest.

Dd has done every monthly art contest in Nature Friend magazine since she was five. They give detailed instructions each month on how to complete one drawing or painting. You can send your completed picture to them and some are published. This gives us a deadline too. She has learned an incredible amount from those contests apparently. She now takes an art class with a professional art teacher who is amazed at what she knows. I kept being asked about what I used to teach color study?????? Nothing really.

Sorry I still have problems posting on the new forum. I made a correction and could not go back to the end to continue!

The main thing I was trying to say is you need to pick something and complete it consistently which is why the contest has worked well for dd. She knows that on the 15th of the month her father needs her entry to scan. She has been responsible for this since she was nine. She has been published several times. Has entered some other art contests and done well.

For the art appreciation side of things. Our most sucessful book has been a thick Usbourne Art History book. Even ds liked it. He also does well with the biography type from the library with lots of pictures. With the ages of your girls the art study you have planned sounds perfect. When they were little they went through a phase where they memorized the artist name and picture name for all the postcards in child sized masterpieces--it was their idea, competed with each other. Still can do most of them last time they tried! LOL

One more thing just so you don't think I am an idiot the teacher wants to know what we did beyond the basic complementary colors etc. She seems to suspect dd has taken whole courses on color theory.

We have loved Barry Stebbings programs for many years. Our kids did the 3 day seminar as well, what a blessing.

That is when I got the Feed My Sheep with the dvds. Worth every penny to me.

I wanted to love Artistic Pursuits but never really did, should have stuck with tried and true.

When they were little we adored the Ed Emberly stuff and still use the Draw Write Now books on occasion.

We have used several Barry Stebbing programs. For the most part I like them but there are a few things I want to point out (at least from the ones we have used). He does teach about color and lines but for the most part I found his projects did not have any take away value....what I mean is he will teach you to draw a clown, but what skill will that give you for later drawings you might want to do. Another thing I found is his directions leave a lot to be desired. However the lessons are short and can actually get done. By the end of the year your child will have an art book filled with drawings and paintings that look impressive. We have not used his videos but I did see some samples of his Nature drawing video and they do look impressive. Those would be used outside his lessons.

Thank you so much for the replies! I really appreciate hearing your experiences, positive and negative. Mumto2, that's interesting about your dd's experience with the contest deadline. I will have to give that some thought, at least in the form of regular pics for sending off to their big sisters or grandparents.

Lizze said: We have loved Barry Stebbings programs for many years. Our kids did the 3 day seminar as well, what a blessing. That is when I got the Feed My Sheep with the dvds. Worth every penny to me.

Lizzie, how old were your kids when you started Feed My Sheep? I'm sure there's more substance to that program, but wondering if it would be a good match. Mr. Stebbing gave the kids a "homework assignment" the first night and then personally looks at every one and gives them a "grade" (everyone gets 100%, I think, lol) and makes a recommendation for either I Can Do... or Feed My Sheep. But his recommendations seem to be pretty much based on their age, based on what I saw from other kids, although I think he does add on another recommendation or two for some kids. Have you used other products of theirs?

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole said: We have used several Barry Stebbing programs. For the most part I like them but ... <snip> He does teach about color and lines but for the most part I found his projects did not have any take away value.

Rabbit_Hole -- So given all that... do you have something else you like better? Or is this one of those areas where you just stuck with it because you already had it on your shelf?

Thanks so much! More replies are welcome.... especially tonight (tomorrow is the final Day 3 of the seminar)!! :p

[Had trouble with quoting the replies and no time to deal with it now... hence the italics. Sorry if it's confusing.]

Rabbit_Hole -- So given all that... do you have something else you like better? Or is this one of those areas where you just stuck with it because you already had it on your shelf?

Thanks so much! More replies are welcome.... especially tonight (tomorrow is the final Day 3 of the seminar)!! :p

[Had trouble with quoting the replies and no time to deal with it now... hence the italics. Sorry if it's confusing.]

Pretty much we are doing it because I have it. It is easy and it gets done so I can give myself a pat on the back for doing art. I do plan on trying his nature study/drawing course though. I am going to be trying the Home Art Studio videos the Homeschool coop has on sale and I am hoping these will be more what I am looking for. My older son is using Artistic Pursuits and that is pretty good and includes art history/appreciation in it. We tried the K-3 book and did not like that one, but the older ones are teaching things like shading, lines, and how to look at things to draw them. These are also easy to use. The first book in a grade level is drawing the second book contains color work. I I cannot honestly say if the Artistic Pursuit is better, but you do get more real like applications to use.

Art has been one of those subjects that I cannot find anything that wows me yet. One son used the Alpha Omega LifePac Art program and I was pleased with it. It was for High School level and covered a wide range of media (drawing, painting, and ink, to sculpting, and other 3d media) and taught color concepts.

Dd has done every monthly art contest in Nature Friend magazine since she was five. They give detailed instructions each month on how to complete one drawing or painting. You can send your completed picture to them and some are published. This gives us a deadline too. She has learned an incredible amount from those contests apparently. She now takes an art class with a professional art teacher who is amazed at what she knows. I kept being asked about what I used to teach color study?????? Nothing really.

I am pleased to read this. We have been getting Nature Friend for several years and my boys have done quite a few of the "You Can Draw" features. We actually just finished one in the last few days and have another one we are planning on starting soon. I think their pictures always end up looking so nice. You have just given me the motivation to make sure we start doing it more consistently. :001_smile: I've been searching for some new art supplies or books to get for Christmas, but I'll have to make sure not to neglect the one source we're already getting.

I've been searching for some new art supplies or books to get for Christmas, but I'll have to make sure not to neglect the one source we're already getting.

Dd was given some great water colors and colored pencils a few years ago by a former art major -- she cleaned her bedroom and thought of dd. Her art really blossomed at that point. Not sure if it was the higher quality or that she took more interest. If you look at the supply lists from nature friend you will notice that many things use the same few colors. If you are having problems deciding which supplies to upgrade make sure to get the blues and browns which are in most pictures.