Menu

Knitting a Newsboy Style had (with brim) for the boys, pattern recommendation please

CalicoKat

Yay, I'm almost finished knitting for my girls 3 scarves, 2 hats--only one more hat to go!

So for the boys.... I'd better knit them something too, right?!

A hat & scarf for them. Scarves, no problemo a simple ribbed scarf I'm thinking.

But the hat needs to be special, like the girl's berets.

Free, easy to intermediate, handsome. :))

I've been posting my FO's on Ravelry.com if you're curious. I'll have another one out there tonight to match the blue fringed scarf.

This hat has been in my Ravelry queue for a while. I intend to make if for DS 14 one of these days! Can't speak to the difficultly level though, sorry.

Cables.....I've never done them. But this is the style of hat I'm looking for in a pattern.

I found a crochet pattern over in the free patterns on Red Heart I've only crocheted a scarf so I'm a little nervous about trying something like this.

They had this one too. And it's knitted. But I wasn't sure about the ear flaps.

Cables look clever but are stupid easy. Really.

You slip x stitches off the left needle onto a dpn and flop it in front of or behind your work (depending on what it says), knit the next x stitches, put the dpn stitches back on the left needle and knit along. That's what makes the twist.

I was intimidated by cables for the longest time, but once I tried them I couldn't believe how easy they were!

Earflaps are usually picking up stitches along either side of the hat and knitting down, or, knitting the flaps first and adding them to the bottom when you start the hat. Both methods are pretty easy, but you have to be very careful to place them in the right spot.

Good luck!

Cables.....I've never done them. But this is the style of hat I'm looking for in a pattern.

I found a crochet pattern over in the free patterns on Red Heart I've only crocheted a scarf so I'm a little nervous about trying something like this.

They had this one too. And it's knitted. But I wasn't sure about the ear flaps.

I tried crocheting the hat from red heart. BIG FLOP. It's flat. It's a flat polygon. I can't figure out what I did wrong. SC's and I blew it. :bored:

And I stalled on the nadia beret with the decreases at the end......

I'm calling it a night. Frogging the crochet thingy tomorrow.