Menu

s/o Elf on the Shelf - how to get started

Just Kate

I posted this question on the Elf on the Shelf thread, but it either got lost in the shuffle or no one cared to answer. So I thought I would make my very own thread and ask the question again. :D

I bought this plush elf to use as my Elf on the Shelf. It did not come with the book, and it's not quite as scary as the other elf. ;) So, I'm not entirely sure how to get started.

I get the whole idea that the elf is supposed to watch over the kids and report back to Santa, but where does the mischief come from? Is it just a surprise for the kids? Or is there a purpose (like teaching what you're NOT supposed to do)? Also, what is the rule with not touching the elf? Is there a purpose to that?

I'm probably making this more difficult than I need to, but that's just how I roll! :lol: I can't wait to give the kids their elf tomorrow. They will be excited.

I don't know where it originally came from honestly. We don't have the creepy elf but a plush one that I haven't ever seen for sale again. When our elf first appeared, he just hid..never doing naughty things. My daughter IS allowed to touch Elfy. It's funny..she was 5 years old when he first appeared and on her own, she would find different ways to get Elfy to stay in her room. We found him tied up with pipe cleaners, heavy books placed on him, the dog guarding him, hidden (THOSE nights were fun..lol), etc. Seeing her 5 year old ways of keeping him on earth were really amusing sometimes.

Now Efly does naughty things thanks to pinterest. Sometimes, he is even naughty by not moving and tricking us all..rofl

I don't know where it originally came from honestly. We don't have the creepy elf but a plush one that I haven't ever seen for sale again. When our elf first appeared, he just hid..never doing naughty things. My daughter IS allowed to touch Elfy. It's funny..she was 5 years old when he first appeared and on her own, she would find different ways to get Elfy to stay in her room. We found him tied up with pipe cleaners, heavy books placed on him, the dog guarding him, hidden (THOSE nights were fun..lol), etc. Seeing her 5 year old ways of keeping him on earth were really amusing sometimes.

Now Efly does naughty things thanks to pinterest. Sometimes, he is even naughty by not moving and tricking us all..rofl

Cute! My youngest is 5 and I really think she will fall in love with this elf. I am going to try to give him a personality which will hopefully make it fun. Now my 8 year old will love the naughty things that the elf does. I am so excited to start this tradition!