Menu

How much do you spend on curriculum?

Darcy in FL

Well, I hadn't really paid attention to it, but dh told me a about a year ago that I was spending too much, we were trying to reduce our debt, so I needed to do better, at that time I had spent about $1300.00, and the year before that was about $1200.00 I just looked at last year on Quicken and I spent roughly $450.00, which I am very pleased with. This year I've already spent $100.05, but $32.00 was for a field trip to the symphony and $20.00 was for a convocation at Purdue to see Beakman Live. Sometimes field trips are more, but I do pick and choose what we do depending upon how much it is. We skipped a field trip to a pottery/glass painting place because it was going to be too much for my three kids, actually it was a good deal, we just didn't have the money.

I sometimes swap curriculum with friends, I search the swap boards & e-bay when I need something and try and get the best price. I give my kids books for Christmas through Scholastic, because I order for our co-op and get the points. I got about $60.00 in free books just before Christmas this past year.

Kristine

This fall, it will be around $1500. I'll have a 6th grader and 3rd grader. The things that worked for the older ds aren't necessarily going to work for the younger (he has some learning problems the older one didn't). I'm also finding out that the older they get, the more expensive the programs are.

We're looking at about $1000 start-up, with $100 or so per month for additional reading sources. I'm one of those strange breeds who really likes to keep books after I've read them, so I'm not a big library-goer.

Even so, it will be saving us substantially over putting him in private school (6K and 12K per year would be our two local options), so I'm not sweating it!