Menu

Homeschool Helper App

I just loaded it on my iPad today. I like it so far. I liked being able to add multiple lessons at once. For example, we do First Form Latin with the same basic pattern each week, Lecture and Workbook page 1 on Monday, Worksheet 2 on Tuesday, etc. So, on the app I could plan Lecture and Workbook 1 for 34 Mondays in a row. Then I did Worksheet 2 every Tuesday for 34 weeks. When we're on a roll, we do school 5 days a week regardless of holidays, so I didn't worry about scheduling breaks in. I'm optimistic that this will work well, even though I love pencil and paper!

I've been using it for about 2 weeks now after nearly 8 years of paper planners. I still use my paper planner. Part of why I am trying to like it is becuase I think having a tool like this that records attendence, grades etc will really help in a year and a half when we start highschool and need that for a future transcript. It is very intutive, easy to use etc. The batch tools work well. For subjects my children do together I fill out the info for one child and copy to the other. Everything is editable so if I plan out 3 months and 8 weeks down the road we are off track I can just adjust the date to reflect when we actually got to something. I go through at the end of each school day and check off everything that we completed, input grades where applicable and done. Like I said, I still keep my paper record too just because that is what I am comfortable with but I can see eventually changing. Another nice feature is the ability to run reports and email them to yourself in a printable form.

Yes, you can print a list of each child's assignments daily. You can generate a report for whatever time period you designate and email it to them or yourself and print it off. It also has an option where you can hide completed assigments so you could tell it to generate a report of all the assignments for the past week or month that were not completed if you are doing a catch up day.

You can print assignments sheets or reports by subject too if that works better for your organizational system.

I have found this is easier for me to use because it is on my Kindle, so it is with me, whereas all my good intentions of transfering my paper records to the PC were for naught. I actually prefer the way I organized some of the reports in Excel, I just never used it with any type of consistency.